you got HOW MUCH free Canadian coin???

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

you got HOW MUCH free Canadian coin???

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Okay, here's the hip new tracking thread idea:
List how much Canadian coin you have scored FOR FREE from any source. Primarily, we're talkin' about: banks that have allowed you to clean out their coin counting machines like HENRYSMEDFORD and Franklin: http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8274
OR
having tellers save it for you like THEJONASCOLLEGEFUND: http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11029
OR
finding them in the reject slot at a CoinStar or thrown away or whatever.
but whatever means you have gotten it, it has to have been free. So in short, finding it in a bank bag doesn't count.

I will keep track of it in this first post. Bonus points for silver stuff and pre-Elizabeth coins!

2012 TOTALS:
$291.07 MORSECODE
$219.78 HENRYSMEDFORD including a silver half dime
$111.83 NHSORTER
$86.06 68CAMARO
$42.97 BAGGERMAN
$37.81 M21221 including a 1968 silver quarter
$28.08 JONASCOLLEGEFUND
$3.80 HPMBTT
$2.05 THEO
$1.78 UTHMINSTA
$1.64 HIRBONZIG
$1.50 DANO including 2 silver halves
$1.28 HOBOFINDS including a 1967 silver quarter
$1.26 SPARECHANGE
$1.00 TWOANDAHALFCENTS
$0.50 EVERYTHING
$0.35 WILEE
$0.30 CHIEF
$0.15 SILVERFLAKE
$0.02 AGMOOSE

MILESTONES:
MORSECODE surpassed $100 on April 10th.
HENRYSMEDFORD surpassed $100 on April 18th (if you include the $21.49 not directly reported but mentioned in his post March 28th).
MORSECODE surpassed $200 on June 3rd.
HENRYSMEDFORD surpassed $200 on November 3rd.
NHSORTER surpassed $100 on November 29th.

2012 final total: 20 sorters reported a cumulative total of $833.23.
Last edited by uthminsta on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: you got HOW MUCH free Canadian coin???

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:44 am

$1.85 in 5 cent
$7.40 in 10 cent
$29.00 in .25 cent
$5.00 in $1.00 coin
$6.00 in $2.00 coin
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:19 pm

WOW! When do you come visit?
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Can't compete with the Henry's, but my freebies, all off TD Bank magnets, as of 1/13/2012:

Steel coins
5.25 in quarters
0.90 in dimes
0.20 in nickels
0.50 in pennies (approx)

290 g of .999 coins (mostly quarters and dimes, interestingly enough)

I was thinking I had some loonies and dubloons, but can't find them, so must've been confused.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm

I'll count up and post....most of it is up for auction!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

Funny you mention it...new member k-iguana just gave me a jar of coins last night so I'd have an excuse to tap a couple TD magnets today. I have a bag of free canadian from July-Oct of 2011, it has $78.10 in it. But October is when I stopped sorting, so I've got none since then. We'll see what happens today 8-)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Went to a rarely used and slightly out of the way branch this morning to dump yesterday's zinc sort, hit the jackpot on the magnet - must've been at least 2-3 bucks worth of mostly quarters. Then the head teller came over and said we send those back with our bags and took them from me! (I had made the tactical error of pulling the magnet first rather than after then dump, when I could have argued that they were mine.) Frankly I tend to think she was feeding me a line, and she's smart enough to keep them for herself, but the result was the same, and I had no leg to stand on to argue.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Yep, I've had that happen too. Of course, it's BS, but what can you do, right?

I got blanked today at my usually most lucrative branch. I mean not even a paper clip stuck on the magnet :(
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

My 11 yr old son just got from his aunt .71 canadian and one of them was a 1967 quarter!
hobo finds

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

hobo finds wrote:My 11 yr old son just got from his aunt .71 canadian and one of them was a 1967 quarter!

First free silver posted $4.45 US$ 80 percent $2.78 US$ 50 percent :mrgreen:

*** The Canadian Mint issued two compositions of the dime and quarter in 1967 and again in 1968. In 1967, there is the standard 80% silver/20% copper variety and the 50% silver/50% copper type. In mid-year 1968, they changed the quarter and dime from 50% silver/50% copper to a 99% nickel composition.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 pm

How do you know if you have the 80 or the 50?
hobo finds

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:11 am

hobo finds wrote:How do you know if you have the 80 or the 50?

This is a hard one. I had to pull Franklin's set out it see how it worked so if you take a 1953-1966 25 cent coin as a sample and do a ring test a 50 percent will not sound the same. See below. In 1968 half were .5 silver and half were nickel you can tell with a magnet as you can pick nickel up. So a 1968 silver would sound the same as a 1967 .5 silver. So if your sounds the same as the 1953 -1966 it is a .8 if it sounds the same as a 1968 silver it is a .5 .

From http://rg.ancients.info/guide/counterfeits.html
Ring test

Modern silver coins typically ring when you tap them with another coin or drop them on a table, emitting a longer-lasting, higher-pitched sound. Modern non-silver coins and ancient silver coins don't, emitting a shorter-lasting, lower-pitched sound. With ancient coins, the reason is crystallization (also called intergranular corrosion, reticulate corrosion, granularization, or embrittlement), which results when relatively pure silver alloys leach copper, lead, or other impurities over time, causing voids between the silver grains. You can often see small perpendicular ridges or swirling patterns on the surfaces of highly crystallized coins or feather-like crystals under magnification, though other times the crystallization is completely internal and invisible. The metal isn't actually becoming crystallized; rather, its crystalline structure is being revealed by natural forces over time.

To perform a ring test, balance the coin on the tip of your finger and tap it gently with another coin. With modern coins, you can wear a cotton glove to prevent fingerprints. You need to be careful you don't drop the coin or tap too hard. Highly crystallized ancient coins can break easily. If the coin emits a long resonating ring, like a bell, this indicates that it's a modern silver coin. If it's an ancient coin, this indicates it hasn't become crystallized, that it's likely a modern forgery, because crystallization dampens the ring. If the coin rings for only a second or two, this indicates it may be only slightly crystallized. If the coin emits a tink and doesn't resonate, this indicates it may be moderately crystallized. If the coin emits a thud, this indicates it may be heavily crystallized.

The ring test is far from foolproof, however. Sometimes forgers use the flans of authentic, though inexpensive, ancient coins to produce old-metal counterfeits of expensive ancient coins, but this typically happens only with rare or otherwise pricey specimens. Forgers can also create crystallized surfaces and interiors with both struck and cast fakes by playing with temperatures. Counterfeits made of new silver having small, thick flans don't resonate as well as larger, thinner coins. Counterfeits made of new silver may not ring at all if the flan is cracked, occluded with a gas bubble, or filled with another substance. Cast or electrotype counterfeits made of new silver also may not ring. Heavily alloyed silver coins made with significant amounts of bronze, lead, or other base metals will also not ring like pure or nearly pure silver coins. Nonetheless, a long resonating ring is a good indication that a coin is modern and struck.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 am

2012 Free Canadian coins

Pennies-57/10 cu
Nickels-16(1952,1960)
Dimes-32
Quarters-44
Dollars-2
2-Dollars-2

Total.....$21.57
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 am

No one gives me free Canadian coins in Canada, but I do buy circulation Canadian coins from Americans for US cash. You ship it to me, I'll send you the value in US less a 10% handling fee.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 pm

What happens when Customs opens the package and finds $100 in random Canadian coin? Any problem there?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:04 am

Morsecode wrote:What happens when Customs opens the package and finds $100 in random Canadian coin? Any problem there?

From -- http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6567&hilit=+Customs

I Email the Canada Border Services Agency and ask that in the past and --
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) appreciates your interest in ensuring that you meet the Cross Border Currency Reporting requirements upon exiting Canada. As you may be aware, the CBSA is responsible for the administration and enforcement of Part II of the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act. Part II requires the reporting of currency or monetary instruments in the actual possession of a person arriving in or departing from Canada. Each traveller is responsible for his or her own declaration.

There are no restrictions on the amount of currency or monetary instruments that you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, you have to report to the CBSA amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000 or its equivalent in foreign currency. If you require further information on the CBSA’s Cross Border Currency Reporting Program, please visit our Web site at
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-sec ... u-eng.html

For information regarding the importation of coins into the United States, we suggest that you contact U.S. Customs and Border Protection for assistance with this matter at http://www.cbp.gov ,
or 1-703-526-4200.

We trust that this information is useful to you. Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 am

.02 free Canadian cents sitting in the reject tray of the Coinstar at Winn-Dixie. Along with 2 buttons & a zincoln that had at least 10% of the coin missing due to heavy corrosion. I don't see much Canadian coin here, even in boxes.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 am

Morsecode wrote:What happens when Customs opens the package and finds $100 in random Canadian coin? Any problem there?

Nothing. But I've made arrangements that are one better. I have a US PO Box so you can ship domestically to me via flat rate boxes :) The coin just rides with me across the border and there is nothing to declare - its just cash.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:20 pm

JadeDragon wrote:

Nothing. But I've made arrangements that are one better. I have a US PO Box so you can ship domestically to me via flat rate boxes :) The coin just rides with me across the border and there is nothing to declare - its just cash.

Given your US PO box, I would propose trading you steel canadian, various types, for .999 nickels at 2:1 face value. I ship you 2x face in steel of various types (1, 5, 10, 25, $1, $2), and you return me 1x face in .999 nickels. We each pay own shipping.

Having said that, I'm not sure I've accumulated enough (yet) to justify a box. But if the plan fits I'll work towards that. I was about to propose this to another (off-forum) Canadian friend who has a US POB, but I'll ask you first.
68Camaro

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:12 pm

I won an eBay auction today for "Canadian Quarters (lot of 4 1972 (2), 1975 and 1976)". My winning bid was $0.01. Not quite free. (plus $0.99 shipping) :|
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:59 am

68Camaro wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:

Given your US PO box, I would propose trading you steel canadian, various types, for .999 nickels at 2:1 face value. I ship you 2x face in steel of various types (1, 5, 10, 25, $1, $2), and you return me 1x face in .999 nickels. We each pay own shipping.

Having said that, I'm not sure I've accumulated enough (yet) to justify a box. But if the plan fits I'll work towards that. I was about to propose this to another (off-forum) Canadian friend who has a US POB, but I'll ask you first.

I'm open to this deal. Send me a message when your ready. I may need to stock up on Ni again depending on how large a trade.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 pm

JadeDragon wrote:
68Camaro wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:....I have a US PO Box so you can ship domestically to me via flat rate boxes :) The coin just rides with me across the border and there is nothing to declare - its just cash.

I'm open to this deal. Send me a message when your ready. I may need to stock up on Ni again depending on how large a trade.

That's cool. Since I'm after .999 Ni - on a weight basis it makes sense for me to trade everything, even the .999 quarters and dimes (except the .999 nickels). For a nickel dime I get a .999 nickel weighing about 2x, etc. So right now I've got 6.80 in steel 5/10/25c, and $8.80 in Nickel 10c/25c. (Plus I've got an unknown number of hundreds in both copper and steel cents, mostly copper, which I would rather have nickel for.) So I might have $20-30 right now, which would trade to $10-15 in .999 nickels. Thats only 2-3 pounds of nickel, right? Probably would make sense to wait a few more months to get my outbound box packed, but I'll stock up and let you know when I get a box worth and the face total.

Thanks!
68Camaro

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm

100 Ni Nickels = 1 lb = $5 face = 2.5 rolls.
I don't save Ni quarters or dimes because I'd rather own Ni nickels and copper pennies.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 pm

JadeDragon wrote:100 Ni Nickels = 1 lb = $5 face = 2.5 rolls.
I don't save Ni quarters or dimes because I'd rather own Ni nickels and copper pennies.

Makes sense. And it will make sense for me too if I can trade the 10c/25c pieces to you to use as face value pieces to trade for .999 Ni 5c pieces. But without being able to do that, I was saving them separate, since they are "free" to me and have value as .999 Ni, but have little value otherwise. (I may have made the description of this more complicated than it really is. ;) )
68Camaro

Next

Return to Tracking Threads Only