*Official August 2023 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Tracking Threads Only
By request, this area is only for coin sorting tracking threads. To reduce clutter only threads authorized by Realcent Admin are allowed here. Ask if you have an idea for a new tracking thread. Happy searching!

*Official August 2023 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Postby Country » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:03 pm

xxx
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: *Official August 2023 Half Dollars and Other Coins

Postby Saabman » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:11 am

Wednesday's box of halves......skunk-o-la.....
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:21 am

Thursday's box of halves......skunk-a-roo....
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:54 am

Friday's box of halves......skunk....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:23 am

Wednesday's box of halves yielded....1 x 65! Plus a 2000 Sacajawea and a no date token from FLA....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:59 am

I decided to do the Saabman thing. Got a box of $500 in halves.

Skunko!

Sometime in the not-to-distant future I plan on analyzing my Excel spreadsheet of over 2,000 entries to try and make sense of everything. Specifically, do I do better when I get large quantities or smaller quantities of halves?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:32 pm

I dont know if the quantity makes much difference. The source is the big difference for me. I always do way better with loose halves from a teller tray or a bag from the coin counter than I do with a box of halves that the bank orders from their coin service. The loose halves or CWR are always going to be small quantity. The bag from the counter and the ordered boxes are both $500, but the bags from the counter have always been way better for me. Does anyone know if the coin services remove silver?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:41 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I decided to do the Saabman thing. Got a box of $500 in halves.

Skunko!

Sometime in the not-to-distant future I plan on analyzing my Excel spreadsheet of over 2,000 entries to try and make sense of everything. Specifically, do I do better when I get large quantities or smaller quantities of halves?

I have done FOUR Saabmans - with poor results. Did two of them in 2019, one last year and one earlier this year. I do MUCH better with small quantities
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:41 am

Thursday's box of halves.....El Zippo...

It's been a slow....month or so.....but.....I will continue to follow HCBTT's rule......."When percentages are low, sort more; when percentages are high, sort more".
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:28 pm

I think location,location, location, makes a huge difference. Look at my copper percentage against the upper Midwest or new England.

11-13% for me, while others are still 20+%.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:54 pm

cwgii wrote:I think location,location, location, makes a huge difference. Look at my copper percentage against the upper Midwest or new England.

11-13% for me, while others are still 20+%.

It is interesting that you are from Arizona, the state which produces an estimated 70% of the total copper produced in the U.S. Coincidence?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:25 am

Got $41.50 in halves on Monday. No silvers.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:33 pm

Yesterday morning, four banks - $53 in halves - absolutely nothing .

This morning , five banks yielded only three loose halves. Yikes! All three from the 70's (junk)
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:05 am

Tuesday was A HUGE DAY for me in terms of silver...

Got $60.00 in halves from a bank. All CWR's. Two of them looked like much older wrappers, so I saved those two for last.

The first four rolls yielded nothing.

When I poured out roll 5, I got that sweet sound of silver! Are you ready for this? All 20 coins were silver! What's more, only 1 of the 20 was a 40%er. So that means 19 of 20 were 90%ers.

Roll 6 was ALL 90%ERS!!!!! Those two rolls contained 30 Franklin halves, 9 Walking Liberty halves, and a single 40%er from 1968.

The 5 slightly better dates were 38-P, 48-P, 51-S, and (2) 56-P.

Even with no premiums for the better dates, I figure this was roughly like finding $305 cash sitting on the ground.

In checking my Excel spreadsheet, I see that before Tuesday I'd received a total of 129 pre-1964 Franklins, Walkers and Barbers. This was in over $93,000 of halves searched and documented (over 2,000 lines of data) since 2004. Tuesday alone I got another 39 in just $60 of halves. Let that sink in!

This was the single best haul I've gotten since 5/21/10, over 13 years ago! That day I got $123 face in halves with a whopping 147 of the 40%ers and 0 of the 90%ers.

Even my wife said "Wow" when she saw my haul Tuesday. And she is really hard to impress!

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:44 am

Lucky you. Santa in August..
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:45 am

$10 nickels. Cwr.. 1
$50 dimes cwr...zip
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:38 am

Four more banks where I got halves on Tuesday.

$70.00
$100.00

so $171.00 total in halves above (and beyond the huge find detailed above). These four groups of halves yielded nothing silver.

Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:58 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Tuesday was A HUGE DAY for me in terms of silver...

Got $60.00 in halves from a bank. All CWR's. Two of them looked like much older wrappers, so I saved those two for last.

The first four rolls yielded nothing.

When I poured out roll 5, I got that sweet sound of silver! Are you ready for this? All 20 coins were silver! What's more, only 1 of the 20 was a 40%er. So that means 19 of 20 were 90%ers.

Roll 6 was ALL 90%ERS!!!!! Those two rolls contained 30 Franklin halves, 9 Walking Liberty halves, and a single 40%er from 1968.

The 5 slightly better dates were 38-P, 48-P, 51-S, and (2) 56-P.

Even with no premiums for the better dates, I figure this was roughly like finding $305 cash sitting on the ground.

In checking my Excel spreadsheet, I see that before Tuesday I'd received a total of 129 pre-1964 Franklins, Walkers and Barbers. This was in over $93,000 of halves searched and documented (over 2,000 lines of data) since 2004. Tuesday alone I got another 39 in just $60 of halves. Let that sink in!

This was the single best haul I've gotten since 5/21/10, over 13 years ago! That day I got $123 face in halves with a whopping 147 of the 40%ers and 0 of the 90%ers.

Even my wife said "Wow" when she saw my haul Tuesday. And she is really hard to impress!

WOW and WOW!!!! WTG, Steve!!! Awesome score!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:15 pm

I was unable to match Steve's outburst from Tuesday, but I did get four silver halves today at a bank. Believe it or not, those were the only 4 halves they had, so I batted .1000!!!!

They were 3 x 1969 and one 1967
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:21 pm

Bank one...sorry we sent out all our cwr yesterday.
Bank 2...$15 dimes...zip
Ruff
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:21 pm

A couple funny ones today. I went back to the bank where I got 40 silver halves the other day because they made a comment about having another $500 box and I turned it down the first time I was there. When I saw what I actually got later that night, I decided I better check further on that $500 box. None of the wrappers in the box were like the ones that had all that silver. Still, I took $100 in rolls- zippo.

I asked the tellers if they had any loose halves and one said "I have one." Many people would likely say "Never mind" to a single half, but it was a 40%er. So I'm glad I took it. I was funny that her one half was silver and the $100 face from the box of $500 had no silver whatsoever.

At another bank today I got $1.50 (3 coins). One was a well worn 1945-D Walker. The funny thing about that is what the teller told me. She said she saves a lot of the Ike dollars as her dad said there might be some silver. Yet she just handed me a 1945-D half that looked nothing like what she had in her drawer! I walked out of there with a big smile after what happened.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:16 pm

$100 from a Credit Union on Thursday. Nothing good.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:28 am

$200 dimes, zip

$87 small dollars
Roll 1, us mint ,sac,p
Roll 2, no name BWR, sac, p
Roll 3, cwr, 24 sac, 1 SBA
Loose...4 sac p, 8 SBA.
cwgii

Postby Saabman » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:08 am

Wednesday's and Thursday's boxes of halves........skunkage....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:16 pm

Silver4face wrote:I was unable to match Steve's outburst from Tuesday, but I did get four silver halves today at a bank. Believe it or not, those were the only 4 halves they had, so I batted .1000!!!!

They were 3 x 1969 and one 1967

You actually batted 1.000!

Recyclersteve

Next

Return to Tracking Threads Only