Aluminium Coins?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Aluminium Coins?

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm

Anybody know what aluminium coins are made of, besides aluminium of course! :) What other metals if any are in the alloys? What is the value of if you were to scrap them? Thanks!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Aluminium Coins?

Postby messymessy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Where are you finding aluminum coins? Canada maybe?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Not in Canada... well not yet anyways
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 pm

I had just bought a few pounds of random old coins on the cheap and have about a half pound of aluminum coins, a bunch of Vichy France, but from all over. So I was wondering what to do with them.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby NiBullionCu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 am

Give them out on Halloween with some candy.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rexor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

The Vichy Aluminum coins should be 100% Aluminum. Sometimes Aluminum coins have a small quantity of magensium (maybe other metals too) If they are not damaged you may be able to sell them as a lot on Ebay for more than scrap, which is probably miniscule. There are some dates and mintmarks that are worth several dollars in circulated grades.
Rexor

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Look out for the Japanese 'last ditch' Hirohito years.

They are Al and very unattractive. They will get decent prices, up to a couple bucks ea on e-bay.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:23 am

When the copper runs out.. we will be sorting for alumimum. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby uthminsta » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am

I think you should always be able to get more numismatically from them than you could get in melt value. I know I would pay more than melt on aluminum coins, no matter what country.
uthminsta

Postby didou » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Here the only aluminium coins i found in Canada, i believe it's a token for bus or subway.
It was stuck in a Coinstar machine when i arrive. It's smaller than a penny.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3411/torontotransitcommision.png
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Mardi gras?
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes yes yes.

Mardi Gras you might really get some value.

Show me your.....!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Im pretty sure that TTC coin is $2.50 plus. They are subway tokens

I read an article on wierd investments that pay off, about a guy in Toronto who bought $1000 worth of TTC coins when they were $.25. 20 years later they are worth $2.50 and they will only go up from here.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage