zinc?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

zinc?

Postby stlouiscoin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:17 pm

where can i find zinc?? All i know of right now is pennies, and i've heard they are/aren't toxic. are there any common items that are made of zinc?
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: zinc?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm

stlouiscoin wrote:where can i find zinc?? All i know of right now is pennies, and i've heard they are/aren't toxic. are there any common items that are made of zinc?

Anything galvanized is coated in zinc. Roofers sometimes use pure zinc in 2 inch by 20 LF rolls to stop black algae from growing on roofs. Other than that, I don't know where you can find zinc in a pure form. Pennies are about it.

It is highly toxic. Never inhale zinc fumes! Never hold galvanized nails in your mouth. If I remember right, it can cause nerve and brain damage. (I can't remember now, I inhaled too many fumes welding galv metal! :mrgreen: )
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm

I am under the impression that some wheel weights are now zinc.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:24 pm

The brackets that hold celing fan blades on
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 pm

A lot of cast metal items are zinc or a zinc alloy. This includes items like gears and wheels from machinery, door handles and furniture hardware. The later is often plated to look like brass. Also, a lot of decorative metal pieces are zinc alloys because it's far more affordable than making something out of solid brass or bronze.

If you have something made of a gray non-magnetic metal that is too hard and heavy to be aluminum, it is probably partly (if not mostly) zinc.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage