Failed test

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Failed test

Postby cyberdan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm

It rained this last weekend so i knew no garage sales. I planned ahead and mapped out a route for about 15 thrift stores. Most were the big guys (salvation army and goodwill) the rest were small charity and 3 were mom & pop (actually oomaa and oopaa if you know Korean :D )

I went to almost all and got turned down at EVERY SINGLE ONE :cry:

first I went around the store looking for brass and copper items. Most stores had at least 10 or more pieces. nobody would sell by the pound if I bought every piece in the store. They would rather let them sit there forever than give a discount. These pieces won't sell. 95% of the customers are illegals from south of the border. They are not going to buy brass decorations unless they are painted purple or bright green. :roll:

next rainy saturday I guess I will just sleep in late till 6 or even 6:30 ;)
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Re: Failed test

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:43 pm

This is how most thrifts are, especially the larger chains. That's why I was suprised you had success in your earlier post on your thrift experiment.

If I ran a thrift store, the philosphy would be: sell it cheap and sell it fast. It's OK if you let something sell for a song every now and then, because that will keep people coming into your store.

People go to thrift stores to get good deals and find unique items. No one wants to see the same overpriced trash on the shelf for six months.

I agree that the market for used brass candlesticks must be at an all-time low. I've never seen someone buy one unless it was below scrap or an underpriced antique.

On the other hand, if donations are way down at thrift stores it makes sense that some of them are holding on tighter to their junk - their back rooms may be almost empty.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage