Going Rate for Aluminum Cans?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Going Rate for Aluminum Cans?

Postby 01GTB » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 am

You guys that have large amounts of cans, what are you keeping them in? I don't crush mine. I did in the beginning, but it doesn't pay any more and is more effort than it's worth. To me anyway. I found that garbage bags fell apart after a few week in the sun, plus there is the cost of the bags. They tended to collect water during heavy rains. and they were a pain to deal with. A couple of years back I broke down and built six wire bins to store them in. Uncrushed, combined, they hold just over 100lbs total.They typicall don't collect water, but when they do you simply put the top cover on the basket and roll them on their side and most of that comes out. No more sticky messes. They are about 27" around and 4 feet tall. I would have built more, but that is basically all that I can fit in the back of the truck. The trailer is for the other stuff.
01GTB

Postby MetalMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:40 pm

I hear ya on not being worth the time to crush them, that is clear, but I get plenty of sweat and exercise collecting on bike and crushing to help justify it some. Mine are crushed on an anvil, which of course achieves a super thin crushed product, allowing me to store 13-14 lbs per 13 gallon plastic bag (doubled to prevent any tear-throughs). I store them inside the garage, so I have no contentions with the outside elements.
MetalMan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby thaler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I have chickens and dogs. Feed sacks work good for me, they are pretty tuff, and after dumping at the scrap yard, I keep em' and carry them back home to use again. You might want to lay an old sheet of tin or something over your wire bins, to help with the water.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 01GTB » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 pm

It's not a big problem. Once I put the top on and tilt the bin over, only a few cans might have water in them. But what I would really like to find though is a top that I can easily removed. Right now it's just another piece of the same rabbit fence. The problem is, I have to twist lose pieces of wire to secure it to the rest of the bin. Kind of a pain to remove 6 of them when I get to the yard.
01GTB

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm

If you are storing cans for a long time I don't see how you can't crush them, takes up less space! I go to the yard several times a month and still crush them!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Took my fathers 128 lbs of alum cans to a new place in town that was paying $.81 a pound with coupon. A quick $103.68 :D
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm

I store cans uncrushed in plastic bags. I never have that many of them, so I use them to fill the excess space in the truck when I make a trip to the scrapyard.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thaler » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:24 pm

70 cents a lb. here yesterday. The highest price this year was 80 cents last month. This time last year it was only 30 cents.
thaler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby GA-Silver » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 am

$.75 a lb yesterday in NW GA.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:07 pm

If I don't crush them, my family and I get nasty surprises such as bees and/or ants taking residence in them.

Neighbor kids have much more energy to squash them than I do. They have contests to see how many they can crush in one minute. Fortunately no injuries ever caused in their excitement.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bankmining » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 pm

$.70 today in western WA State
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Crushing them takes time...and as we all know, time is money. I keep uncrushed and just recycle when necessary.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

$.81 for them in Tucson AZ Today
hobo finds

Postby bman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:38 pm

I got 40 cents per lb today here in Maryland.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby adagirl » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:30 am

60 cents/pound in middle GA,

I crush as I go - makes sense to me unless you happen upon a big load of Al
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 am

55 cents/lb in eastern Missouri.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 am

I bought a trash compactor on craigslist for 40 bucks. It sits the the garage. I throw my empties in a crush as I go.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby messymessy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Thogey wrote:I bought a trash compactor on craigslist for 40 bucks. It sits the the garage. I throw my empties in a crush as I go.

That's a great idea. I'll have to start looking for one.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am

messymessy wrote:
Thogey wrote:I bought a trash compactor on craigslist for 40 bucks. It sits the the garage. I throw my empties in a crush as I go.

That's a great idea. I'll have to start looking for one.

+1

And then when it gives up you can scrap it! :D
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby wayne1956 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:00 pm

thaler wrote:I have chickens and dogs. Feed sacks work good for me, they are pretty tuff, and after dumping at the scrap yard, I keep em' and carry them back home to use again. You might want to lay an old sheet of tin or something over your wire bins, to help with the water.

I do the same. I have a horse so I keep the paper feed sacks (not to mention get quite a few from my neighbors also) and put crushed cans in there. I wait until I have around 15 or so, then crush them. It only takes a few seconds, then put them in the feed sack. A lot less room as I tend to keep them until the price goes up. It is down to .65 around here.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:17 am

01GTB wrote:You guys that have large amounts of cans, what are you keeping them in? I don't crush mine.

I just bale them up and stack them outside. When the stack gets too big I have a truck come and pick them up. :mrgreen:

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby GA-Silver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:53 am

$.60 a lb in NW GA.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:05 pm

$0.65/lb here in the middle of the Midwest. I don't want to make a career out of smashing empty cans, but do use the two-second top and bottom pinch on each. They're not flat, but that greatly reduces their space. Basic tests here have shown me that action increases a 30 gal bag can capacity by 5 lbs.

This all begs the question, though, whether we can trust the scales used by the local aluminum scrap buyers.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm

I weigh them with a fishing scale. Avg weight 21 lbs crushed fills a 33 gal bag. Scary part is if it takes 34.35 cans to make a pound thats 721 Miller Lites :lol:
Last edited by hobo finds on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:34 am

seems like all the can buyers in tucson are in cahoots. one drops a couple cents and they all rush to lower their offer. so , now the one place that has not dropped. is so swamped, it is hard to get in .
cwgii

PreviousNext

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage