Stripping PMs off electronic parts???

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Stripping PMs off electronic parts???

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Does anyone still chemically strip gold, silver, and platinum group metals off electronic parts? I never tried it, but heard you used to be able to scrap lots of PMs that way.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Stripping PMs off electronic parts???

Postby doug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Check out, goldrefiningforum.com

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Complete waste of time for 99% of the population. If you want to make money with gold and silver, check out yard sales.

Not to mention that doing it yourself generally requires dangerous chemicals and breaking multiple laws and regulations.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:36 pm

HI
I have quite successfully refined gold from computer parts by using common chemicals on a small scale. It is an enjoyable hobby. Of course safety precautions are necessary.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:42 pm

silver wrote:HI
I have quite successfully refined gold from computer parts by using common chemicals on a small scale. It is an enjoyable hobby. Of course safety precautions are necessary.
ED

Why don't you start a thread on how you do it. :thumbup:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Thgey
I would be quite happy to do it. You could also learn a lot from GoldRefiningForum.com. It is the best source for learning the refining process, but I will be happy to give you a brief version. Allow me enough time to make a rough draft and I will present it for all to see.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm

I once bought a liberty bell whisky bottle for a buck, because it was guilded in 22K gold.

Someone told me there was no possible to recover the gold(paint?). This individual said if it was possible to do so, one ouce of gold could be stretched thin enough to cover 1 square mile.

Do you, or anyone who knows, think this is true?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Thogey
I have heard, one ounce of gold made into wire can be stretched for 50 miles, or an ounce of gold hammered into a 100 square foot sheet.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Ed! Welcome to Realcent.

I am looking forward to reading your comments on how to strip PMs from computers and other electronic stuff. I have several items laying around waiting on me to strip them. Your posting is just in time! :clap:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm

HI Sheikh
I am making a draft of the process now. Mind you I am not an expert, but I do well enough for my purposes. I do it cheaply and with little equipment. Just a couple of beakers and plastic buckets. The basic chemicals are easy to find. It will take me a couple of days to write it out and get it posted. Please bear with me.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 am

Guys, listen. I have been in the computer recycling business full time for almost 20 years now. I have seen it all, heard it all, and done it all. Here is some real good advice.

1. Yes, you can still recover gold from computers. Everything you would ever need to know about it can be found over at GoldRefiningForum.com.

2. The best way to get gold out of computers on a small scale is to just sell the gold-bearing scrap on e-bay. People are willing to pay more than what it's worth over there. Take your money from the sale and buy gold and silver bullion.

3. See #1 above.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm

HI Silversaddle1,
I am going to have to agree with your advice. I have been a member of GoldRefiningForum.com since 2007 and I know I can't compete with 20 years of experience. I haven't posted often on The Forum, but I have read all the threads and sign in every day to read. Reading and understanding are your friends. I know giving a truncated version of the refining process has ramifications. There are dangers involved for the uninformed. There is a lot to know before you even begin. That being said, I would not want to be responsible for someone getting hurt or even dead. If you are still interested please become a member of the GoldRefiningForum.com. You will not be disappointed!
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Silver,

Please don't think I was telling you not to write up your summary. I was not. Just saying there is no need to re-invent the wheel. The info is already out there, just help them find it!

And I agree with you, if someone was to get hurt following your directions, why assume the risk. Let them read it over there.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Silversaddle1
I did not get that impression at all. You are right. Everyone can get all the information they will ever need from Our Forum.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am

silver wrote:Silversaddle1
I did not get that impression at all. You are right. Everyone can get all the information they will ever need from Our Forum.
ED

Well, that's too bad. I was looking forward to reading your summary. Maybe you could have enlightened many people here.

I have a membership at Goldrefiningforum and found it was sometimes hard to get answers to my, and others, questions. Harold V posted what may have been really important comments for beginners and everyone said you had to read them to understand refining. The only problem with that is the link "timed out". Requests to re-upload the all important info were ignored. In fact, every question, or comment, I made was ignored.

Thanks anyway for the input. :thumbup:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silversaddle1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:07 am

Really? Hard to get answers? That's all we do over there is answer questions from beginners. Don't try to learn it all at once. Read, Read, Read! I know the search can be "tricky" at best sometimes, but the answer to every question you have is right there at your fingertips.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 am

silversaddle1 wrote:Really? Hard to get answers? That's all we do over there is answer questions from beginners. Don't try to learn it all at once. Read, Read, Read! I know the search can be "tricky" at best sometimes, but the answer to every question you have is right there at your fingertips.

Thanks.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage