What The Heck is This? Help Please

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: What The Heck is This? Help Please

Postby Thogey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Great first post!

Thanks Ray
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Rosco wrote:I believe the points are used to tie Log rafts together but the chain has been replaced to hang as decoration. the points can be longer it depends on hard wood or soft wood

Log Dogs :mrgreen:

I can't tell you guys how many folks around here have guesses ,incorrectly what this is.

Awsome job.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm

RAY wrote:Those would be Log Dogs.
Log dogs.jpg

Log Dogs are driven into the ends of the logs and a chain is threaded through the 3/4" hole in the Log Dog to bind the logs...
log dog 4.jpg
Log Dog 3.jpg

together into a raft for transport down the river or across the lake.

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/longleafalliance/teachers/glossary/logdog.htm

Go here to see some of the listings on E-pay that have sold.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R4 ... ld=1&rt=nc

Your Log Dogs have been modified with an optional length of chain added to it for some other purpose.
Maybe to stabilize the far ends of the logs wile lifting one end at a time to build a log cabin or a bridge or something similar.

Hope this helps, I know this is an old thread but heck I just got here.
RAY

Hi RAY,
You're off to a good start. Thanks for your first post.

Tell us more about yourself here: viewforum.php?f=49
Last edited by shinnosuke on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Nice work Ray on the Log Dogs

Next Question: Why do folks out west have such wide grout lines?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby RAY » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Well thanks guys but it looks like Rosco had explained it first.

No idea on the grout lines, unless maybe they serve as an expansion joint with all that humidity up their in the pacific northwest.

Ray
RAY

Postby johnbrickner » Fri May 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm months late and more than a dollar short but it was well worth reading the entire thread for the first time. This group of people (Real Cent Members) should be in the same community when the time is right.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

johnbrickner wrote:I'm months late and more than a dollar short but it was well worth reading the entire thread for the first time. This group of people (Real Cent Members) should be in the same community when the time is right.

You are right about that!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bruce hylton » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Log dogs and boom chain for fastening logs together to make a log boom to transport log on water.
bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 pm

adam youngs jump rope.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Thogey wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Not sure but that Grout line is a little big....could give you problems down the road.

Listen young man. Don't get too big for your britches. I know you've been around for 30 years now but in the southwest we have saltillo tile and like big groutlines. It's a special grout and I laid that tile back when you thought breastmilk was the greatest thing since amniotic fluid, and never had any problems.

Now make yourself useful and tell me what the Iron is!

Laid some 12x12 granite today. Used zincolns as spacers....couldn't help but think of your silly grout lines. :wave:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage