What The Heck is This? Help Please

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: What The Heck is This? Help Please

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:10 am

24 inch slabs?
Awesome.

This town, Prescott was Built from granite blocks taken from a nearby mountain, "Granite Mountain"

I'll take this thing downtown and I'll bet that chain measures the granite blocks in the buildings perfectly.

I'll post pic.

Very cool.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:16 am

silversaddle1 wrote:Stone splitting wedges. Always in pairs.

;)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 am

This is my last stab at this...

Engineer is right, this is for measuring 24" slabs.
But it was just used to mark the spots to be drilled and then split with wedge and feathers.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:40 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:Wedge and feathers are three pieces, the wedge being one and the feathers two.

Yep...I said it wrong.

As RichardPenny says, these probably weren't used for the majority of the work. They may have been used for measurement, and possibly to prepare the outer edge of the hole for correct orientation of the feather & wedge.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Engineer wrote:
RichardPenny43 wrote:Wedge and feathers are three pieces, the wedge being one and the feathers two.

Yep...I said it wrong.

As RichardPenny says, these probably weren't used for the majority of the work. They may have been used for measurement, and possibly to prepare the outer edge of the hole for correct orientation of the feather & wedge.

I can't let this go.

If this is true than why is the thickness of the spikes stamped on the sides. The user of this tool apparantly was told by the forman to go get a 3/4 inch (X) and get to work.

What is X?
Thogey

Postby Engineer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Thogey wrote:What is X?

For lack of a better word, I'd call it a centerpunch.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Not knowing squat about the details of how stone was quarried, this is interesting, and I'm even more interested that several people here seem to be at least somewhat familiar with the process and tools.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 pm

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Dude, for the expense of a single buck, you sure have gotten a lot of entertainment out of those two points with a keeper chain!! I am beginning to like this steampunk stuff! 8-)

My SWAG (Stupid Wild Ass Guess) says they are rail splitter wedges.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:10 am

Tools of the Spanish Inquisition? :P
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Okay, what did you find out Thogey? What is it?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:26 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:Tools of the Spanish Inquisition? :P

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Okay, what did you find out Thogey? What is it?

OK I thinks I'm getting closer.

Mauk13r came over and we kicked this thing around

It's not a splitting wedge(no evidence of scratches) It's not a punch of anykind because there are no hammermarks one the tops.

They are marked 3/4 and are 3/4" inch thick, not wide, but thick. I think they are some kind of spacer. Mauk doesn't think a masonary tool because they are not scratched up.

Could they be spacers for some kind of timberwork, maybe ship building. It's a definitly a precision tool of some sort.
Thogey

Postby Rosco » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm

I believe the points are used to tie Log rafts together but the chain has been replaced to hang as decoration. the points can be longer it depends on hard wood or soft wood
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 pm

OK what do you call this tool?
Thogey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't know what to call them, but you got my attention with this steam punk stuff. I now look for it everywhere.

I am doing some work out in the oil patch and I see old oil field motors and stuff a lot. It is all still being used. There are about 7 huge compressors out there with these very large fly-wheels and wide belt drive gears being run on gas motors with old time governors on them. I bet they are 60 years old. I meant to take photos today, but got behind schedule and had to run. I will take photos next time I am out there.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:22 am

Could it be a tool that was just used for measuring and marking? lay the end of the chain at a set point, strtch to the end of the point, tap the flat spot above the ring, make your mark and repeat. 2 feet on center. A measuring jig of sorts?

Also, if that tile is made of salt, is the grout made of pepper? Just drop your food on the floor in the SW and it's seasoned? :lol: Personally, I like more pepper than salt and would have even wider "grout" lines.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 pm

I talked to a guy today who insists they are lock/latch pins of some sort. But he doesn't know what fo.r
Thogey

Postby F.I.ImGoingFishing » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Just a guess but could be an alignment wedge for setting something like track sections.
the shape would be right for driving through the holes into wood ties that overlap at the ends of old hand car tracks that were used in mineshafts. The distance on the chain looks about right also.
F.I.ImGoingFishing

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm

F.I.ImGoingFishing wrote:Just a guess but could be an alignment wedge for setting something like track sections.
the shape would be right for driving through the holes into wood ties that overlap at the ends of old hand car tracks that were used in mineshafts. The distance on the chain looks about right also.

Hey GoingFishing, it looks like you joined realcent just to respond to Thogey's question. Anyway, welcome and hope you catch a big one.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby creshka46 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am

Just glue some gears on it and call it steampunk :thumbup:
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby F.I.ImGoingFishing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
F.I.ImGoingFishing wrote:Just a guess but could be an alignment wedge for setting something like track sections.

Hey GoingFishing, it looks like you joined realcent just to respond to Thogey's question. Anyway, welcome and hope you catch a big one.

No. Just starting to research other realms of scrap metals. So registered to help keep the numbers up as that is what keeps forums alive.
I always register the sites I explore and if have in-put that may be usefull, even if only in my own mind that I contribute
F.I.ImGoingFishing

Postby SilverEye » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 am

I remember seeing something like this in an old auto body shop where they unbent bent frames for cars (back when cars had frames lol). The old guy told me the way it works is you had to find another car of the same make and model that wasn't bent up, bring it in so you could pull your reference marks off that one. That's what all the holes are for in car frames; they were built to last back then, fixed, not just tossed if they got in a little wreck like they do today.

You stuck down some pieces of tape on the shop floor, hold one plumb bob underneath the frame in a reference hole and let the other end dangle down just off the floor and dot the tape with a grease pencil, then go over to the other side and put another dot the same way. Then put the bent frame up on jackstands, figure out which way you need to beat with the sledgehammer or hydraulic ram and keep going til it's true again. Used when you can't get a tape measure directly from point A to point B because there's a crossmember or suspension parts in the way.

The ones I saw were a lot less rusty and seemed more precision but the same idea. Explains why there's no hammer marks or gouging like if it was a pounding maul.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby coppers4me » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Could Be a Carcus hanger like for Pigs or Deer or maybe evan a large fish, to bleed them out or gut.
coppers4me

Postby RAY » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Those would be Log Dogs.
Log dogs.jpg
Log dogs.jpg (6.79 KiB) Viewed 4371 times

Log Dogs are driven into the ends of the logs and a chain is threaded through the 3/4" hole in the Log Dog to bind the logs...
log dog 4.jpg
log dog 4.jpg (4.06 KiB) Viewed 4371 times
Log Dog 3.jpg
Log Dog 3.jpg (6.56 KiB) Viewed 4371 times

together into a raft for transport down the river or across the lake.

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/longleafalliance/teachers/glossary/logdog.htm

Go here to see some of the listings on E-pay that have sold.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R4 ... ld=1&rt=nc

Your Log Dogs have been modified with an optional length of chain added to it for some other purpose.
Maybe to stabilize the far ends of the logs wile lifting one end at a time to build a log cabin or a bridge or something similar.

Hope this helps, I know this is an old thread but heck I just got here.

RAY
RAY

PreviousNext

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage