Using Nitric Acid to Determine Metal Help?!?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Using Nitric Acid to Determine Metal Help?!?

Postby rsk1963 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 pm

So I got a new batch of rings :thumbup: (I know, I just stopped pricing down the last lot). None the less I used 10K nitric acid solution on a old school class ring. It turned blood red with marginal white whispy smoke :? . There are no markings of merit, anyone know what kind of metals will yeild these results?

Thanks so much.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Using Nitric Acid to Determine Metal Help?!?

Postby stlouiscoin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:50 am

my grandpa and grandma used to own a company that sold kits to i.d. metals... I.D.Q.(Identification Damn Quick) metals. I'll see if they know anything about that^
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:01 pm

awesome thanks very much

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:04 pm

The way most gold testing solutions work is that the 10K solution will do nothing to gold that's 10K or higher.

If your ring is changing colors and smoking when the 10K solution is dripped on it, it's made of something other than gold, or may only be gold plated.

I'm not sure what metal produces that exact result with nitric acid, "blood red" is unusual and may be because of an indicator in that particular solution. The only metal I know that turns blood-red is silver, when a silver-testing solution is used.

The surface of nickel-silver will turn pink after being exposed to nitric acid and then wiping it away or rinsing, but the solution itself will turn blue-green and give off some smoke.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:The way most gold testing solutions work is that the 10K solution will do nothing to gold that's 10K or higher.

If your ring is changing colors and smoking when the 10K solution is dripped on it, it's made of something other than gold, or may only be gold plated.

I'm not sure what metal produces that exact result with nitric acid, "blood red" is unusual and may be because of an indicator in that particular solution. The only metal I know that turns blood-red is silver, when a silver-testing solution is used.

The surface of nickel-silver will turn pink after being exposed to nitric acid and then wiping it away or rinsing, but the solution itself will turn blue-green and give off some smoke.

I knew that red is an indicator when used with silver testing solution. but I used 10K (just to figure out what it was) i.e. blue/green would indicate a base metal of some degree. but the beet/blood red color threw me for a loop.

rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage