Aluminum for Scrap

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Aluminum for Scrap

Postby ParisRoubaix » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I have aluminum planks from scaffolding that I no longer have that I want to scrap. I also have some old window frames and gutters that are made of aluminum to go along. How much can I expect per pound?
Thanks
ParisRoubaix

Re: Aluminum for Scrap

Postby christostock » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:57 pm

You should sell the planks. Post them for sale on Craigslist.
Contractors who need them will pay way more than scrap.
I just got 40 cents per pound for aluminum the other day.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Old window frames are extruded aluminum. Prices vary wildly by region, call your scrapyard and ask.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:45 pm

Most scrap yards will not buy scaffolding because it's commonly stolen. Don't try to scrap any unless it's obviously damaged and/or you can provide proof of ownership. As mentioned, planks are worth far more for use anyway.

Aluminum prices vary greatly by location and type of aluminum, but you should get at least $0.40/lb for a load of mixed aluminum. As mentioned, you have to call around. One place near me buys all aluminum mixed together for $0.50/lb, another has 8-10 different categories that pay anywhere from $0.35 - $0.75.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:Most scrap yards will not buy scaffolding because it's commonly stolen. Don't try to scrap any unless it's obviously damaged and/or you can provide proof of ownership. As mentioned, planks are worth far more for use anyway.

Aluminum prices vary greatly by location and type of aluminum, but you should get at least $0.40/lb for a load of mixed aluminum. As mentioned, you have to call around. One place near me buys all aluminum mixed together for $0.50/lb, another has 8-10 different categories that pay anywhere from $0.35 - $0.75.

My Yard won't buy scaffolding or ramps.

...or manhole covers(not that I've tried)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 am

christostock wrote:You should sell the planks. Post them for sale on Craigslist.
Contractors who need them will pay way more than scrap.

+1
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm

messymessy wrote:Old window frames are extruded aluminum. Prices vary wildly by region, call your scrapyard and ask.

Best I have ever gotten was the same as siding, old sheet or painted.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:23 pm

Thogey wrote:or manhole covers(not that I've tried)

The thought occurred to me just this last weekend! Imagine what it will be like when it comes to that...
By the way, welcome to the site, Paris!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage