RR Track

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

RR Track

Postby hirbonzig » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:53 pm

While rebuilding a retaining wall at my uncles farm we found 12 five foot sections of old railroad track. They are HEAVY!!! I am guessing that I would be questioned at the scrap yard on how I got the rail. Is it better off just using them in the new backfill or would a scrap yard even take 'em.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: RR Track

Postby messymessy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I found some track being sold at an auction and was too scared to bid. I suppose you could call your scrapyard and ask.

I think SilverSaddle has been scraping RR track. Send him a PM.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:48 pm

My local yard has on there we do not take sign RR stuff.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 am

Yes, we are railroad contractors. It all depends on your local scrapyard. If they know you, they will buy it from you. Just because it's rail does not mean the railroad owns it. There are thousands of miles of privately owned track out there. Call your yard, tell them what you have, where you are getting it, and ask what they will pay. Expect over $200 a ton for it in random lengths. Got a torch? Cut it down to 2 foot lengths for top dollar.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage