copper wrappings

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

copper wrappings

Postby shovelhead » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:56 pm

On the tube of a computer or tv,there is a hub that pulls off the back of it with copper wrapped around it.Is that all copper,and what is them curved black things made out of that the copper is wrapped around?I like to tear things apart.
shovelhead

Re: copper wrappings

Postby mj74 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:13 pm

I believe the first item that you are tlaking about is called the yoke....

but I don't know what the curved black things are that you are referring to.
mj74
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shovelhead » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Yeah thats it.The black things the copper is wrapped around,what are they made of?Are all the windings in the yoke in the yoke copper?
shovelhead

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 am

The black thing is made of a ferrite. The copper is just the copper windings around them. The whole think in its entirety is called the yoke.

A special ferrite is used to make a ferrite core. (makes sense i guess) A ferrite core has a very high magnetic permeability, making copper windings much more effective at converting electron flow into magnetic fields or vice versa.

The ferrite, technically, is not exactly what a scrap yard is looking for. But if you bring it in they will definitely buy it. Scrap yards will buy anything that sticks to a magnet as scrap.

There is also copper in the degaussing coil at the front of the tube. more see here.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:47 am

I have tried 3 yards for the ferrite, they call it a carbon and do not want it in any way.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby shovelhead » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks alot,on them decaussing cables when i scratch some of them with a knife they turn a shiny silver color.Are they still copper?Some are other colors after you get the tape off.
shovelhead

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:28 pm

No, the degaussing cables, if they are extra light, then they are aluminum wire. otherwise, they are probably copper. I admit, I don't really check, and my yard won't know if there is one or two aluminum scraps thrown in with my bundle of copper, especially if I dont.

As for the yards, Hades12, they don't know wtf they are talking about. They of all people should know that carbon doesn't draw a magnet. It's an iron oxide mixed with either a zinc oxide or a manganese oxide. Their reaction may have something to do with calling it "ferrite." Ferrite means many things in many industries, but it undeniably has iron in it. Its definition is roughly "a compound containing iron" Did you have them shoot it with a gun or did you just say you have "ferrite". I never said anything to my yard, and just bundled it up with the rest of the mixed metal. (Which is not immoral, because it is mixed metal) No problems there. Did you try that?

The crew at any scrap yard, for the most part, will bull[excrement] you until your ears fall off if you let them. Especially the old timers. They will tell you all sorts of things. they don't know what they are talking about half the time... Yesterday, the guy at my yard tried convincing me my car bumpers are plated with nickel, and are solid chrome on the inside.
Last edited by theirrationalist on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hades12 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:09 pm

The big yard did shoot it and did not want it in any way, even mixed in the shreeder steel. I could sneek it in but don't want to jeopordize being able to go there. They pay better then anyone anywhere in the area and are always very nice and helpful. Even to the point of showing us what in the loads should be seperated better to get better prices.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby theirrationalist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:22 pm

If they shot it with a gun, then they know whats best for them for sure. And I agree that jeopardizing that type of relationship is not worth it. They seem like one of the few decent yards left! But I guarantee there is more value in one of those core pieces then in a piece of steel of equal weight.

On a side note, my yard has started buying pure scrap carbon at $.60 per pound! I have no idea what that really means; I just got the new price list, and it lists pure carbon. Does anybody know what they are looking for?
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shovelhead » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:15 pm

I appreciate the information.That answered my question plus a whole lot more.Happy Scrapping.
shovelhead

Postby theirrationalist » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 pm

shovelhead wrote:I appreciate the information.That answered my question plus a whole lot more.Happy Scrapping.

No Problem!

By the way, if you look at the picture you attached, there is a steel fastener at the top of the yoke. That fastener is actually non-magnetic stainless. just so you know.
There are usually two of them, but the first topmost one is only half stainless.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage