Hey scrappers I need some advice on wire

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Hey scrappers I need some advice on wire

Postby smackvay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:08 am

So ive been saving wire for about 5 years(since I started scrapping on contract) and ive never turned in insulated wire. I have around 2,000 pounds(I will add pictures when I get back from vacation) its all different types of wire and most of the ends are cut off. Anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get the best bang for my buck? 75% of it is wire that wouldn't burn down well is why im not going that route.
Thanks guys
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Hey scrappers I need some advice on wire

Postby slickeast » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 am

Most scrap yards won't take wire that has been burned.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Call around and get the best price! 2000 pounds should get you a much better price. No need to burn and too much to strip, find out the best price as is and make some quick cash!
hobo finds

Postby gubni » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:38 pm

hobo finds wrote:Call around and get the best price! 2000 pounds should get you a much better price. No need to burn and too much to strip, find out the best price as is and make some quick cash!

Sometimes you can get more for it that way. I took coax that had very little copper and got a great price.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby CrazyTom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Try dividing it up based on the thickness ratio of insulation to wire.

The yard I go to rates the wire based on how much insulation is there versus the copper.
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 pm

That is a good idea some ins wire you can get #1 ins for it...
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:11 pm

CrazyTom wrote:Try dividing it up based on the thickness ratio of insulation to wire.

The yard I go to rates the wire based on how much insulation is there versus the copper.

Tom is right on it.

Some scrapyards pay a flat price for insulated copper, but you'll get the best prices if you find one that pays based on recovery percentage. For instance, #12 and #14 copper THHN is called 90% (as in 90% copper recovery) and #12 Romex is called 65%. Of course, you get a better price for the 90%.

So just like Tom suggested, sort your wire based on size of the wire and type of insulation.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby smackvay » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 pm

messymessy wrote:
CrazyTom wrote:Try dividing it up based on the thickness ratio of insulation to wire.

Tom is right on it.

Some scrapyards pay a flat price for insulated copper, but you'll get the best prices if you find one that pays based on recovery percentage. For instance, #12 and #14 copper THHN is called 90% (as in 90% copper recovery) and #12 Romex is called 65%. Of course, you get a better price for the 90%.

So just like Tom suggested, sort your wire based on size of the wire and type of insulation.

This is for tom^^^ and you
I scrap a lot but don't understand the breaking down wire size stuff
So your saying pile it up in smaller piles of the same size stuff?
last question how many piles would you break it down into? 3-4 sound right?
didn't get in till after dark so didn't get a picture(will try to get one after work tomorrow)
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:04 am

Here's how we do it.

Anything that is above 12 ga. gets run thru the stripper.

Anything under gets thrown into the inslulated copper box. This box will contain powers cords, cat 5 cable, data cable, telephone cable, ect( no ribbon wire). All mixed, all ends and connectors still attached. We average about 1800# per gaylord box, price has been steady at around $1.25 per pound for the last year or so.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby smackvay » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 pm

silversaddle1 wrote:Here's how we do it.

Anything that is above 12 ga. gets run thru the stripper.

Anything under gets thrown into the inslulated copper box. This box will contain powers cords, cat 5 cable, data cable, telephone cable, ect( no ribbon wire). All mixed, all ends and connectors still attached. We average about 1800# per gaylord box, price has been steady at around $1.25 per pound for the last year or so.

so lets say I don't have a stripper what do you suggest id do with the larger stuff? sell it as is or burn it(my guy has no issues taking it like that)
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm

smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

No.1 Bare Bright Copper Wire
No.1 Bare Bright Copper Wire shall consist of bare, uncoated, unalloyed copper wire, not smaller than 16 gauge

No.1 Copper Wire Scrap
No.1 Copper Wire shall consist of clean, uncoated, unalloyed copper wire, not smaller than 16 gauge

No.2 Copper Wire Scrap
No.2 Copper Wire shall consist of clean unalloyed copper wire, free of hair wire, brittle burnt wire and excessive oils
• minimum copper content of 94% remelt recovery rate.

No.1 Insulated Copper Wire Scrap
No.1 Insulated Copper Wire shall consist of plastic insulated unalloyed, uncoated (plated) copper wire, with the copper wire not smaller than 16 gauge (B&S).

No.2 Insulated Copper Wire Scrap
No.2 Insulated Copper Wire shall consist of assorted plastic insulated, unalloyed copper wire, free of heavy or double insulation.

No.3 Insulated Copper Wire Scrap
No.3 Insulated Copper Wire shall consist of assorted plastic insulated, unalloyed copper wire, includes heavy or double insulation, plastic insulated telephone cable.

Copper/Aluminum BX Cable Scrap
Copper/Aluminum BX Cable shall consist of plastic insulated copper wire, armor coated with an Aluminum casing.

Copper/Steel BX Cable Scrap
Copper/Steel BX Cable shall consist of plastic insulated copper wire, armor coated with an steel casing.

Scrap Bare Aluminum Wire
Bare Aluminum Wire shall consist of clean aluminum wire free of iron or insulation.

Scrap Insulated Aluminum Wire
Insulated Aluminum Wire shall include plastic insulated aluminum wire, must be free of iron.

Scrap Supported Aluminum Cable
Supported Aluminum Cables shall include multi strand heavy gauge aluminum wire twisted around a single stand of steel wire.
Last edited by hobo finds on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:44 pm

smackvay wrote:Image

The first step is to remove the aluminum wire. The larger cables with thin gray plastic outer insulation is almost certainly aluminum. As is the 3 twisted wire cable with hard black plastic insulation. You can sell aluminum wire with the insulation on it, but it doesn't pay as well as copper. Aluminum wire is usually big enough that it might be worth stripping with a knife.

Then separate by wire types:

Romex wiring (common house wiring) is 65% recovery. Should pay approximately 1/2 of what you are getting for #1 copper.

THHN wires are the types usually ran in commercial buildings in conduit. They will actually have "THHN" or "THW" (often both) printed on the wire. Sort out the wires that are #14 and bigger. This wire type is 90% recovery and usually pays 2/3 of what you get for #1 copper. If the THHN is large enough (say #4 or larger), you MIGHT want to strip it with a knife.

Cut the wires with the outer metal jackets down into manageble sizes. Pull the copper wires out from the metal jackets and throw the wires into the THHN pile. The metal jackets are often aluminum.

Throw all the rubber cords into one pile.

Now all you should be left with is small wires and communication cables. If you have any coax cable, pull it out and throw it in with your shred pile. Throw all the remaining wire into the same pile. I'm not sure wht you will get for this pile.

Good luck.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby smackvay » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I think this concludes this thread as ive got MORE than enuf info to get this job done.
I will start working on it once I get this next load of copper and radiators hauled in $$$
Once I get it hauled in I will post my earnings and the guys that helped me in this thread will be randomed in a contest for something free(prize will determined upon how much I end with) id say 5-10% of total earnings!!!!!
Thank you guys as ive been avoiding working with this wire as I was afraid of getting burnt by being uneducated!! don't have to worry about that anymore
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:02 pm

What is the best way to tell aluminum from copper wire. I'm taking apart some old 6 volt emergency lighting and the wiring is grey, looks like aluminum, it's the finely braided stuff. Once you scrape the wire a little you can see the copper though. Weird ..

Just trying to learn how to differentiate. One time my brother came home with some really old telegraph wire, really thick stuff, the sheathing was rotted and came off real easily. Magnet would not stick to it, looked like copper, turned out to be something copper coated, didn't get anything for it. Seems like cheap alloy metals are barely worth recycling.

I examined a standing room lamp the other day, it was a cheapy, all made of plastic, nobody wanted it, why would you even buy something like that in the first place, wire .. aluminum, worth it to recycle - barely?, not sure if it adds up, I tried recycling aluminum before, and it just does not seem to pay.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm

everything wrote:What is the best way to tell aluminum from copper wire. I'm taking apart some old 6 volt emergency lighting and the wiring is grey, looks like aluminum, it's the finely braided stuff. Once you scrape the wire a little you can see the copper though. Weird ..

Just trying to learn how to differentiate. One time my brother came home with some really old telegraph wire, really thick stuff, the sheathing was rotted and came off real easily. Magnet would not stick to it, looked like copper, turned out to be something copper coated, didn't get anything for it. Seems like cheap alloy metals are barely worth recycling.

I examined a standing room lamp the other day, it was a cheapy, all made of plastic, nobody wanted it, why would you even buy something like that in the first place, wire .. aluminum, worth it to recycle - barely?, not sure if it adds up, I tried recycling aluminum before, and it just does not seem to pay.

By me #2 insulated wire can be copper or alum and you get the same price which was $1.10 a pound the other day
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:32 pm

hobo finds wrote:
everything wrote:What is the best way to tell aluminum from copper wire. I'm taking apart some old 6 volt emergency lighting and the wiring is grey, looks like aluminum, it's the finely braided stuff. Once you scrape the wire a little you can see the copper though. Weird ..

By me #2 insulated wire can be copper or alum and you get the same price which was $1.10 a pound the other day

Nobody pays $1.10 a pound for insulated aluminum. Or at least they don't KNOWINGLY pay $1.10 per pound. Stripped aluminum wire usually sells for less per pound than cans.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Category is #2 insulated wire not #2 insulated copper wire
hobo finds

Postby messymessy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 pm

The wire you have is copper coated with tin (or something like that). Too small to be worth stripping. Like previously suggested, throw it in with your #2 insulated wire.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage