Railroad spikes and other stuff

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Railroad spikes and other stuff

Postby byro007 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Anyone know if railroad spikes and the other stuff along the railroads are worth more than just scrap steel?
byro007
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Railroad spikes and other stuff

Postby gubni » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:38 pm

I have a few that I use as soft chisels for driving things like bearing races.
"Every man I meet is in some way my superior."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
gubni
Penny Collector Member

Postby smackvay » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm

In WV turning in ANYTHING state or railroad related will get you a real quick appt. with a State Trooper
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Spikes are worth more than scrap on eBay if they are decent looking. People make hooks and coat racks and whatnot out of them. Tie plates too. But I wouldn't go picking stuff up along active rail lines. The railroads frown upon that. Some of them use magnets to pick up scrap metal. Some of them just let it lay. But none of them like trespassers. And depending on where you are at, taking that stuff to the scrap yard will likely raise some eyebrows.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Before 9/11, getting caught on the tracks was no big thing. Now you must be a terrorist.

I've walked or biked every line within 30 miles of here, active and abandoned. We also have something in CT called Rails to Trails. A lot of metal was simply pushed aside in the rush to pave over the track beds, but I doubt you could find a buyer. The scrappers are cautious with good reason I suppose.

I've been an on again, off again collector of primarily glass insulators since I was a kid. Took this photo today, with morning sun streaming in. The one in the middle is the first one I ever found, when I was twelve. 1970 or so. Anyway, that's how I came to spend so much time hunting rail lines.

Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:39 am

I have seen some cool knives made from railroad spikes. Also smaller cut sections of rail line make good anvils.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby byro007 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of walking the railroad and picking up stuff but not anymore
byro007
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kylescoins » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 pm

I have boxes full of spikes and ran out of things to use them for
Kylescoins

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Remember the great $$ made from steam punk??? Well, take a look at what is for sale on etsy, made from railroad spikes:

https://www.etsy.com/market/railroad_spike

You are going to love this! The prices for the coat rack amaze me but check out the steam punk ear rings:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/165507252/ ... ref=market

All I want for Christmas is a forge.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Hmmm...I came across a couple hundred discarded spikes yesterday. One more reason to check craigslist for a decent used backpack.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Rustjunkie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 am

As a scrapper I occasionally come across smaller pieces of R/R steel mixed in with old farm iron like spikes, rail plates and anchors. I usually save them for no other reason than I worked for a company doing sidings and spurs when I was quite young. I have made a couple utility anvils out of track also all my Harleys have had spike foot pegs that I made for them and I have a couple 6 foot chunks of rail laying around right now, they make great driveway drag sections.
I don't worry much about having a couple small pieces laying around but I would be very wary of picking up anything from any R/R right of way. They have very strong sense of ownership and intense power of prosecution.
Rustjunkie

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage