pictures and silver content

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

pictures and silver content

Postby knibloe » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:36 pm

My father-in-law passed away a month ago. His second wife just sent the family pictures over to our house. There are 10-12 big boxes of them. Many are duplicates, other have been ruined over the years of storage. My wife is sorting them out and throwing a lot of them away. In the future, we may scan the ones that she keeps and get rid of the originals.

To that end, I thought that I heard that photos contain silver. It that true? If so, how much and would it be feasible to remove it?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Re: pictures and silver content

Postby Corsair » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:00 pm

knibloe wrote:My father-in-law passed away a month ago. His second wife just sent the family pictures over to our house. There are 10-12 big boxes of them. Many are duplicates, other have been ruined over the years of storage. My wife is sorting them out and throwing a lot of them away. In the future, we may scan the ones that she keeps and get rid of the originals.

To that end, I thought that I heard that photos contain silver. It that true? If so, how much and would it be feasible to remove it?

According to a PDF published by Kodak (around 1998 looks like):

Processed color
photographic films and papers
(negatives, transparencies, and
prints) do not contain appreciable
amounts of silver.

DYODD but that's just what I found from Google.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/J210.pdf
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:00 pm

And I'm sorry for your family's loss, of course.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Film used to have silver, but perhaps only X-ray film. A guy around here used to sell machines to recover silver from film. I think he used to sell mostly to hospitals. Took a bunch of film to justify the machine.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:37 pm

Corsair wrote:And I'm sorry for your family's loss, of course.

Thank you.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage