Question on Metal Framing Used for Walls

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Question on Metal Framing Used for Walls

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:00 am

I've got a question for you recyclers out there. I will sometimes see small office buildings being remodeled and find a bunch of metal framing that was formerly used in the inner walls of the building, but has been placed in a dumpster outside. Is this framing made of steel or aluminum? If it is aluminum, then what type do you think it is and what do they pay in your area for it? I have a feeling that it is going to be hard to get enough in the back of an SUV or small truck to make much money. I'm thinking it might not be worth the time to even pick it up. Please advise. Thanks.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Question on Metal Framing Used for Walls

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:30 am

the stuff I worked with was a light gauge steel
dakota1955

Postby natsb88 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Very thin steel.
natsb88

Postby messymessy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:57 pm

It's steel, but you could still give it a shot. It's not solid like a typical wood stud. It's a "c" with three very thin walls. Fold the two small sides onto the big side and smash them down. This will make it take up much less space and you could haul more at a time. Might be worth it.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I appreciate the responses. I won't take a load of this stuff by itself and will wait til I get some copper or aluminum to make a little more money.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage