Tell Us About Your Scrapping Injuries

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Tell Us About Your Scrapping Injuries

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:27 pm

My wife and I were coming home from a nice dinner out and saw a pile of scrap which included metal beside the road. I'm the scrapper in our family, but she didn't mind my pulling over- she knows that stuff by the road usually goes quickly. So I had to move a pretty heavy bookcase to get to the steel underneath. After we got the steel into the car I asked if she could give me a hand with the bookcase and promptly dropped it on her toe. I think I broke her toe right after a nice belated Valentine's Day meal. And we didn't even take the bookcase! Ouch!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Tell Us About Your Scrapping Injuries

Postby cwgii » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 pm

IN THE three years of doing this, I have fallen off the tailgate twice. first time , nothing other than the 100# barrel of glass landing , on me.

second, elbow took a month to heal. wrist almost 6 months. no insurance, hence , no doctor.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:44 pm

OUCH... here is todays story....

gent walks up to the dumpster , while I was 25 yards away at the bar patio, getting the bottles. he looks in, walks around, looks in again. then moves my step stool and reaches in , taking my golf club that I use to break the glass. at which point , I yelled. put it back. instead he charges me. fumble foot I am, I fall down. gashing my palm on the pavement. the 72 year olde owner comes charging out. the bum, then throws the club at manny hitting him in the hand

telling that at the gf';s work, earned the title.........Tucson dumpster wars
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Glad you are ok... Did you get the cardboard figured out yet? Still going to sell to her?
hobo finds

Postby Rosco » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:03 am

:twisted: Look at all the fun We norther's Miss out on :shifty:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:07 am

hobo finds wrote:Glad you are ok... Did you get the cardboard figured out yet? Still going to sell to her?

yes and no.... only going to do the cb from the flower shop and cases I have in my hands . no brakeing down other folks boxes for them.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Rosco wrote::twisted: Look at all the fun We norther's Miss out on :shifty:

i am sure I would have the same bad luck up north. maybe worse due to inclement weather
cwgii

Postby everything » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:24 pm

Ditching the sharp glass that comes with aluminum frames, not wearing gloves, and getting cut bad.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Cut my hand bad once carrying out the glass from the frames, so now I take what's loose and leave the glass ones that's still in the frames for someone else. Also busting up sliding glass doors on a big tarp in order to get the aluminum makes a lot of heavy safety glass to pick up in drop cloth and put in dumpster.
hobo finds

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage