Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Postby cwgii » Tue May 30, 2017 1:35 pm

quarter in a box of beer bottles,
one in a dumpter
2 pennies at a fast food place
penny in a parking lot
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 am

I was at the grocery store and had my groceries rung up by an actual person instead of the usual self-checkout. I saw that someone before me didn't reach into the change return- I was able to get 76 cents- no good dates, but I'll take it.

Then tonight I looked at the change return of a vending machine and found a British 10 pence coin dated 2105.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 am

You've discovered a time portal!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:07 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I was at the grocery store and had my groceries rung up by an actual person instead of the usual self-checkout. I saw that someone before me didn't reach into the change return- I was able to get 76 cents- no good dates, but I'll take it.

Then tonight I looked at the change return of a vending machine and found a British 10 pence coin dated 2105.

Oops- I was tired- I meant 2015.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:28 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I was at the grocery store and had my groceries rung up by an actual person instead of the usual self-checkout. I saw that someone before me didn't reach into the change return- I was able to get 76 cents- no good dates, but I'll take it.

Worked in a grocery store for about five months in 2015 and this is actually pretty common, even in these days of heavy debit card usage. But be vigilant! Some checkers will scoop up abandoned change and keep it near their register or toss it in those small, clear plastic donation recepticles that sometimes populate the checkout area (how dare they! :lol:).
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:22 am

I found 1 dime last night after removing the interior out of my sons car...just one dime....this electronic age really sucks.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 am

Found a late date common dime on the floor inside a parking garage.

Recyclersteve

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Working on the interstate highway this morning and found a quarter on the shoulder rumble strips. Have no idea how it got out here, unless people are throwing change out their windows!
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:10 am

penny outside the dumpster.
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:41 am

2 cents at the scrap yard on the ground one was a 1910 wheat!!!
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:32 pm

SUNDAY we had to set up a party, dime on the dance floor,.
penny in the parkinglot
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:48 pm

parking lot penny
cwgii

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:23 pm

$0.36 in a reproduction gumball machine. I bought it at a yard sale to resell and I heard something sliding around inside. My suspicions were confirmed. ;)
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 pm

A late date Jefferson nickel on the floor of a restaurant- and not next to the cashier, which is a tad unusual.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:46 pm

2 pennies and a nickel in the dumpster today
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 pm

yesterday , penny on a bar room floor and one in the trash
today one dumpster penny
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:14 pm

lol does it count that yesterday while turning in halves... the coin counter gave me 2 pennies and 5 dimes that i KNOW were not in my halves.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 am

a parking lot quarter
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 am

At the car wash in the area with the self-serve vacuum cleaners- found 35 cents. All late date coins- started with a nickel, then five pennies and a quarter. All scattered over a roughly 100 sqft. area.

At the same car wash in the drying area (where they give me a towel to dry my car- cause I'm too cheap to pay for an expensive car wash)- another 3 cents laying in the cracks in the concrete. These three were all very dirty and need to be soaked in soapy water.

So 38 cents total.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:29 am

penny , dime and a $5 bill in one dumpster yesterday
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Can you give us any tips on how you scour a dumpster for coins? How much time do you spend per dumpster? Do you physically get inside the dumpster? How do you keep from getting cut by sharp items?

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:02 pm

i dumpster dive /recycle for a full time job.

the ones i enter are mainly to pull out the bottles. some of them are in bags, i empty the bag into a 27 gallon bin, putting the bottles in 32 gal trash cans. then i run a magnet over the 'trash' to get out the bottle caps. and thasti when i will find coins and bills .

i do wear gloves , once in a while a broken piece of glass will still get me .

as to the time,,, lol gee it depends on how full it is. generally 1-3 hours.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:58 pm

not sure if this one counts... found a quarter in my own driveway. where the gf parks.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 pm

cwgii wrote:i dumpster dive /recycle for a full time job.

the ones i enter are mainly to pull out the bottles. some of them are in bags, i empty the bag into a 27 gallon bin, putting the bottles in 32 gal trash cans. then i run a magnet over the 'trash' to get out the bottle caps. and thasti when i will find coins and bills .

It is hard to imagine making enough money scrapping to pay the bills unless I'm missing something or unless you have incredibly low living expenses.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 pm

cwgii wrote:i dumpster dive /recycle for a full time job.

Cwgii:

It is hard to imagine making enough money scrapping to pay the bills unless I'm missing something or unless you have incredibly low living expenses.

Recyclersteve

PreviousNext

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage