Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:24 am

Contradiction wrote:5 cent Euro from Espana in the trash can next to the coin counter at my bank. I don't need to wash my hands after digging around in the trash can because I always wear gloves and sunglasses and a ski mask when I walk in the bank.

Tip when wearing a ski mask: When they ask if you have an account with them, don't give them the number. :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Contradiction » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Contradiction wrote:5 cent Euro from Espana in the trash can next to the coin counter at my bank. I don't need to wash my hands after digging around in the trash can because I always wear gloves and sunglasses and a ski mask when I walk in the bank.

Tip when wearing a ski mask: When they ask if you have an account with them, don't give them the number. :)

Thanks for the tip!
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm

garbage bag penny
cwgii

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Highroller and I were in the Denver airport and spied a who scatter of coins under a terminal waiting row of chairs, two dimes a nickel and three pennies :)
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Contradiction » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Went to the Home Depot just now for batteries and did really well. First, a free hot dog and chips on the way out. Then I found a 1967 penny in the parking lot. A keeper! Then in one place 36 cents of clad coins.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 am

Contradiction wrote:Went to the Home Depot just now for batteries and did really well. First, a free hot dog and chips on the way out. Then I found a 1967 penny in the parking lot. A keeper! Then in one place 36 cents of clad coins.

Funny but true stories about Home Depot (way back in the early days of their business)...

1) Early on they had committed to leases for four locations, but only had the money to operate two of them. So what did they do? The founders contacted several manufacturers for products they sold and asked them to ship a whole bunch of empty boxes with labels on the outside, to make it appear that the store had a lot more inventory than they really did. So the empty boxes would be on the higher shelves so that customers didn't figure it out.
2) The founders of Home Depot used to give out $1 bills to people just for walking into the stores.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:57 am

at the flower shop dumpster. our tennat uses clean bags. as i picked up one i could see a quarter.
cwgii

Postby Contradiction » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 am

Found a quarter under the vending machine in the breakroom at work yesterday. It wasn't 90%.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Since I created this post, I thought I'd chime in with a place that was new for me- and I don't believe I've seen it mentioned on this thread.

I was out driving around for curbside trash just before the brush pickup. One house had a tremendous amount of stuff and the house was for sale. So perhaps someone died or got evicted. Anyhow, I picked up a golf bag that had three left-handed clubs in it. When emptying the pockets, I found a velvety Crown Royal bag that had tees, ball markers, etc. There was also a quarter in it. But wait there's more. I dug a little deeper in the bag and found the following in total:

6 half dollars ($3.00)
20 quarters ($5.00)
2 dimes ($0.20)
6 nickels ($0.30)
10 pennies ($0.10)

So that made $8.60 total in coins. No good dates- one of the pennies was a copper and there was a 1976 quarter. But there was also a 1975 Canadian quarter (non-silver),a 2002 5-peso Dominican Republic coin, a 1960 Belgium 20 franc coin and a couple of tokens.

I've heard people say they have found money in hidden compartments in luggage, but didn't think about golf bags containing money till just now.

Recyclersteve

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I've heard people say they have found money in hidden compartments in luggage, but didn't think about golf bags containing money till just now.

That's quite a find, especially the halves! I plan to thoroughly inspect the golf bags I find in the future.

Yesterday: dime in the road when I picked up a scrap push mower.
Today: two pennies in front of the clothing donation bin.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

copper penny next to recycling dumpster
cwgii

Postby Contradiction » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:30 pm

A shiny 2017 penny at the gas station. My habit has changed lately. Now I don't just stand next to my car and fill the tank. I walk around to see if I can score a few points (coins).
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:34 am

Contradiction wrote:A shiny 2017 penny at the gas station. My habit has changed lately. Now I don't just stand next to my car and fill the tank. I walk around to see if I can score a few points (coins).

I do the same thing. Also, when I go to a gas station that has a car wash area with self serve vacuums, I always check the vacuum area. Ditto for the area where people pay extra to have their cars detailed. Both of those have been really good for me since I started doing it about a year ago. I usually wait till after sundown when all the employees who detail the cars have gone home.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:12 am

dollar bill in one dumpster that i stand outadie of and dump the bags. using a grabber to pick out the cans and plastic
dime this morning in our dumpster . from the gaming store next door
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Contradiction wrote:A shiny 2017 penny at the gas station. My habit has changed lately. Now I don't just stand next to my car and fill the tank. I walk around to see if I can score a few points (coins).

I do the same thing. Also, when I go to a gas station that has a car wash area with self serve vacuums, I always check the vacuum area. Ditto for the area where people pay extra to have their cars detailed. Both of those have been really good for me since I started doing it about a year ago. I usually wait till after sundown when all the employees who detail the cars have gone home.

And I decided to stop by the local car wash vacuum area late last night- picked up a dime and twelve pennies (22 cents total).

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:10 am

Here is a new one:

I was at a garage sale this morning and found a few pennies in a drawer in the garage that was full of screws and small miscellaneous stuff. I told a man in the family that was doing the sale. He said they'd already gone through the drawer and that I could keep whatever coins I found. I found ten pennies and a dime- 20 cents total. Now that is an ODD way to find money.

Recyclersteve

Postby Contradiction » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Here is a new one:

I was at a garage sale this morning and found a few pennies in a drawer in the garage that was full of screws and small miscellaneous stuff. I told a man in the family that was doing the sale. He said they'd already gone through the drawer and that I could keep whatever coins I found. I found ten pennies and a dime- 20 cents total. Now that is an ODD way to find money.

That's a good example of a nice return with not too much effort, Mr. Steve. I have also started collecting screws and bolts I find lying around. I can't produce anything made of metal so I thought I should start collecting necessary items such as screws that I find and pick up. I would pick up a penny and some of the larger bolts I have found cost a lot more than that.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:01 pm

a nickel in our dumpster and another one in our driveway
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:48 pm

3 quarters in a bar parking lot
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:17 pm

I imagine the bar parking lots would be an excellent place to find money...

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:29 pm

parkinglot penny
cwgii

Postby hirbonzig » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Found a quarter stuck in the tar of parking lot. Pried it out with one side coated in asphalt. Will see if soaking in gasoline will remove the gunk.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:25 am

Found a quarter and a dime in a scrap dryer.

hirbonzig wrote:Will see if soaking in gasoline will remove the gunk.

Try acetone.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm

dumster dollar bill .... someone f...ed up our recycling with household moving trash. found a conatiner with 33 cents and some gifts cards to walmart and barnes-noble.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:37 pm

I was out very early this morning (before dawn) and looking at the rubbish left at the street for the pickup this week.

I found a ton of stuff (telescope, binoculars, stereo speakers, lots of wire and conduit, etc. etc.).

Inside a ladies bag (Lancome brand) I was checking the pocket and, voila!, out pops a $10 bill. I'll take it. That will pay for the gas money. By the way, if you saw the house and the quality of stuff they had by the curb, they probably would have laughed at me if I tried to return the money.

Recyclersteve

PreviousNext

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage