Creative way to recycle catalytic converter?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Creative way to recycle catalytic converter?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:37 am

I found a tailpipe with a catalytic converter (possibly from a truck) sitting next to the dumpster outside a place that fixes cars. One of the technicians there said it was put there by someone who was not an employee.

When I tried to sell it for scrap, I was told that I had to have a receipt for the new catalytic converter I was buying to replace it in order to be able to sell the old one for scrap. There has got to be a better way. I know that some people are concerned about theft, but if I was scrapping an entire vehicle they wouldn't ask me for a receipt for the new car I was buying.

Any ideas?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Creative way to recycle catalytic converter?

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:01 am

I did a quick search and found this: http://autocorebuyer.com/catalytic-conv ... rices.html
Copper Catcher

Postby smackvay » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:20 am

In WV you literally take the convertor to about any scrap yard and you get paid
no paperwork unless you are at a certain dollar amount total
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 pm

I haven't looked in a while, but there used to be an active market for catalytic convertors on Ebay.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:17 am

what if you had found it alongside the road??
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby silversaddle1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Most scrap yards will buy the CC from you with proper ID, some don't even need ID, but most will. Cut the CC at the ends where it joins the rest of the exhaust system. Do not cut the CC it's self as some yards do dock you if you cut into it or break out the honeycomb inside.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 am

silversaddle1 wrote:Most scrap yards will buy the CC from you with proper ID, some don't even need ID, but most will. Cut the CC at the ends where it joins the rest of the exhaust system. Do not cut the CC it's self as some yards do dock you if you cut into it or break out the honeycomb inside.

Thanks for the tip on cutting the tail pipe. That will make it much easier to put into my car when I haul the junk.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage