anyone in can / bottle deposit states?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

anyone in can / bottle deposit states?

Postby hobo finds » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:28 am

I have herd with covid19 it is getting harder to get back your deposits on cans and bottles. Are you just holding on to them waiting for redemption centers to open back up? California was very hard to get back your deposits before covid now I here impossible.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: anyone in can / bottle deposit states?

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Still open in Oregon here is what’s the website states.

COVID-19

BottleDrop values our customers, staff, and the Oregon community. As always, we’re committed to providing safe access to container returns. We’ve made changes to follow state requirements so that we may continue providing access to this essential service.

All BottleDrop Redemption Centers are open and operating on summer hours (8am – 7pm daily). We ask that customers maintain social distancing at all times and take note of signage, markings, and directions from staff while visiting our Centers.

BottleDrop is requiring face coverings to comply with Governor Kate Brown’s statewide Face Coverings Requirement. All customers age 5 and up are required to wear a mask, face shield, or face covering to enter our Redemption Centers. Customers must also wear a face covering outside Redemption Centers when six feet of distance cannot be maintained, and face coverings are encouraged even when this distance can be maintained.

We appreciate our customers adapting to our social distancing guidelines and safety measures to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Here in the northeast for a couple of months stores weren't taking returns and most or all redemption centers were shut down. They are back online now.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 am

Never had a problem at my recycling center here in western NY
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:51 pm

No problem in Rochester ny
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm

No bottle deposit in Minnesota. I was looking at who had posted on this thread and I see that I am the newest member to post and I joined Realcent in 2011.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:11 pm

AZ is a no deposit state but our cans get to California. Prices are bad $.25 to $.50 a pound. Some yards not taking cans at all. A few places taking #1 plastic water bottles and soda for $.15 a pound
hobo finds

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:30 pm

It was extremely back-logged in Oregon, only now getting somewhat better. I think a combo of reasons: more people out of work and making the effort to return bottles, way more people drinking/eating at home due to virus and generating more bottles, and they recently increased the deposit to 10 cents so I think there had been growing volume in general since that price point induces even people who arent tight on cash to take a bag in.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Even with a decrease from over a dollar to less than half.there is more competition for the cans.
The homeless have to have Some spending money.
For awhile, turning in 4000 pounds of glass, whatever cans and plastic I could find.I was almost paying bills.
cwgii

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage