Scrap an RV

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrap an RV

Postby messymessy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I found a guy with a non working, large, older RV. Has anyone ever scrapped an RV? It's about 30 feet long and still has it's engine. Is it worth the effort?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Scrap an RV

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Thread is worthless without pics.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Probably not worth it.

Unless you have a cheap place to dump all the fiberglass, foam, plastic and wood.

You do have a fridge (propane?) and 1 or 2 AC units (all very light with lots of plastic)

All the metal is low: chassis,engine, transmission, a generator, a few pumps (lots of plastic parts).

Pulling the wire is even a bitch because everything is probably coated with spray-on foam.

If it's an Al Air Stream, maybe. I don't think I've seen a 30 ft Airstream.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby GA-Silver » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 pm

My buddy just stripped an older 70's RV down to the frame. The thing was even plumbed with copper tubing! After he stripped all the alum. siding off, the copper plumbing, and everything else, he came out making some good $$ on the project. He even sold the frame/motor for scrap. It took him several Saturdays to do strip the RV though.......
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage