Weighted Sterling Silver

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Weighted Sterling Silver

Postby branshew » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I have run into a fair amount of weighted sterling silver at yard sales recently. Normally I stay away from it as it's hard to tell what the actual weight will be. I recently went against that philosophy and purchased a weighted compote. Came back in at 132 grams sterling once the junk resin weight was removed. Decent score for $30.

Anyone have any idea how far weighted candle stick holders (4.5" diameter +/-) or a weighted candelabra would tip the scales? I realize that the design and manufacturer matters, but I would be interested to know what have you discovered from your experiences?
branshew

Re: Weighted Sterling Silver

Postby scrapman1077 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I just tore down some newer candle sticks, about 4" dia and 6" tall, 15 grams !
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby davycoppitt » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:13 pm

All my candle holders are smashed into a cube, but I just checked two compotes. A 5 inch 54g and a 7 inch 68g. I will have to start charting every piece I break down how much it weighs before and after, that would be awesome to have.
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby simplicitycounts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 pm

I usually guess 14-18 grams for the short candle sticks individually. Most things if you can get them for $3.00 or less you will come out ahead. I try to stay away from the knives with plaster hanldes and stainless steel blades unless they are a couple bucks or less. Good luck hunting!
simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage