Canadian King George VI Pennies and Nickels

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Canadian King George VI Pennies and Nickels

Postby Mooski » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:03 am

I've got quite a few pounds of these coins, and I'm trying to figure out what the value of them are.

Sure, the pennies are 98% Cu, and the nickels are either .999 Ni or 'other', so the melt value is nice - but like Wheat pennies, there's a bit of a premium on them.

Just what is that premium?
Mooski
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Canadian King George VI Pennies and Nickels

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 am

Hi,

As a general rule, numismatically they would carry a premium if in AU-50 or better condition. The steel ones (penny and nickels) are the ones with a bigger premium. For the coin shops, they have the ordinary ones up to 1959 selling for 10-25 cents each. For the steelies it is more towards 50 cents to 2$. The shops are not buying the ordinary ones, as they get them free when they purchase whole the amateurs collection. They only look for the steelies and George V coins.

PS: That is for Quebec, Canada market.

Cheers
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Canadian King George VI Pennies and Nickels

Postby nero12345 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:13 am

I go through roughly about $2500-3000 a week in nickels and my George VI nickels bin gets about 1 pound bigger each week. This tells me that if they are this hard to find in the wild that they will become more difficult to get in the future. I also pull all pre 65' young queens and put them in a seperate bin. I have roughly 300 George V nickels from sorting and they are very hard to find. I find there is a premium on the queens and the george VI coins but i wouldn't get rid of any of my george V, unless they were for a very nice premium, but i'm a nickel guy myself so i'm a bit biased.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics