more identification help needed

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

more identification help needed

Postby uthminsta » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Got a few more, not sure what they are. The two small coppery ones are razor thin...
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: more identification help needed

Postby uthminsta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 am

This side wasn't much, but then I looked closer, and it seems there are two scaly fish circling the "reverse" so I thought this second image might help spark some recognition in someone's noggin.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Lower left - can't find an exact match but the coin is reminiscent of some minted for Christina - 1632-1654 of Sweden. You can make out most of the name and the lettering style is consistent. The lower right could also be from the same era. DG is part of her title on some coins. Look near the end of this document for examples. http://www.numismatas.com/Forum/Pdf/Dav ... Sweden.pdf

Hope I'm on the right track here and it will help someone identify the coin.

A little info I found - there is more in the linked document. She lead a very unique life:

Christina (Swedish: Kristina) (8 December 1626 – 19 April 1689), later known as
Maria Christina Alexandra and sometimes Countess Dohna, was Queen regnant of
Sweden from 1632 to 1654. She was the only surviving legitimate child of King
Gustav II Adolf of Sweden and his wife Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg. As the
heiress presumptive, at the age of six, she succeeded her father to the throne of
Sweden upon his death at the Battle of Lützen in the Thirty Years' War.
After having converted to Catholicism and abdicated her throne, she spent her latter
years in France and Rome, where she was buried in St. Peter's Basilica.
Christina was born in Stockholm and her birth occurred during a rare astrological
conjunction that fueled great speculation on what influence the child, fervently hoped
to be a boy, would later have on the world stage.[2] The king had already sired two
sons, one of whom was stillborn and the other lived only one year, heightening pressures for a male heir to be produced. She was educated in the manner typical of
men, and frequently wore men's clothes (such as dresses with short skirts, stockings
and shoes with high heels - all these features being useful when not riding pillion).
Christina's mother, Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg, came from the Hohenzollern
family. She was a woman of quite distraught temperament, and her attempts to
bestow guilt on Christina for her difficult birth, or just the horror story itself, may have
prejudiced Kristina against the prospect of having to produce an heir to the throne.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:39 pm

I see a 1951 US copper penny. The other coins... any one know?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics