Ancient ID help needed

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Ancient ID help needed

Postby Verbane » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks in advance :clap: This is not an area I've spent any time with.

non magnetic, untested otherwise. They appear more like a white metal inhand, seem to have a yellowish tint in the photos.
edit: About the size of a quarter.

Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Re: Ancient ID help needed

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Greek lettering...
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Country » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Looks to be from one of the Seleucid kingdoms ruled by the Seleucid dynasty founded by Seleucus I Nicator following the carve-up of the empire created by Alexander the Great following his death. Seleucus received Babylonia and, from there, expanded his dominions to include much of Alexander's near eastern territories. At the height of its power, it included central Anatolia, the Levant, Mesopotamia, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Pamir and present-day Pakistan.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Verbane » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:54 pm

That fits. A soldier brought them back from Afghanistan recently. Gives me a good starting point for identification. :D
Last edited by Verbane on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 am

Verbane wrote:That fits. A soldier brought them back from Afghanistan recently. Gives me a good starting point for identification. :D

Afghans, like the Chinese, are known to sell "rare coins" to Americans which are actually repros, so I'd probably triple-check for authenticity.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Verbane » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:
Verbane wrote:That fits. A soldier brought them back from Afghanistan recently. Gives me a good starting point for identification. :D

Afghans, like the Chinese, are known to sell "rare coins" to Americans which are actually repros, so I'd probably triple-check for authenticity.

Agreed. The markets weren't as well developed in 2001 when I was there, so I didn't have the pleasure of seeing stuff like this first hand. The guy is out some money on these and I want to make sure before I tell him they're trash.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:45 am

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

At least those are marked copy :roll:
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby currencydebasement » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 pm

They don't look qute right. I am not an expert on ancients but all fakes seem to have a "look" to them.
Full time coin hoarder, part time attorney* (licensed to practice in CA and DC)
http://www.currencydebasement.com
currencydebasement

Postby Verbane » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 am

Well, weather they're real or fake, I have been able to attribute the designs to Bactria (500~327BC) Northern India area predating Alexander the Great's conquest.

http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/bactria.html
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics