Need some help with a gift

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Need some help with a gift

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 pm

I am trying to identify the oldest circulation coin that has an aeronautical theme on it.

It can be planes, air ballons, kites etc....

The oldest I could find was: 5 Reichsmark Graf Zeppelin,coin from Germany from 1929.

It is for a gift going to a friend who has retired from an engineering position with the airforce.

Thanks!
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Need some help with a gift

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Saw a reference that said that was the earliest one.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Interesting. If 1929 is the earliest coin I wonder if there aren't earlier tokens or medals.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:49 pm

If you were giving a stamp instead of a coin and money was no object, the famous Inverted Jenny (upside down biplane from 1918) would make an incredible gift. But it is worth a bit over a million dollars, so your name would have to be Gates, Buffett or Slim.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:55 am

I thought the story of Icarus and his dad would be interesting if the friend has a sense of humor:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... ef2a3d.jpg

But if you are able to find an old Greek/Roman coin...It would probably be quite expensive.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:37 am

Just to muddy the waters.

I have this available for a reasonable price. Aluminum.:

I listed this Silver round on ebay for stupid money because I cant find another like it anywhere.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xwhite+sand.TRS1&_nkw=white+sands+missile+range&_sacat=0

Last edited by Verbane on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 am

If you aren't set on legal tender, The world of exonumia has some options to look for:

1918 Brill Brothers Victory Luck token

1927 Numerous Lindberg "Lucky Lindy" tokens. Look at these closely, some are later reproductions that came in cereal boxes in the 50's.

1928 Dunlop Medal - ANNIVERSAIRE 1928 - DE LA FONDATION - DE L'INDUSTRIE DU PNEUMATIQUE
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks for all your help. I will go with the zeppelin.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics