Spanish Reales

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Spanish Reales

Postby ihavecoins » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 pm

I have never ventured outside of US coins for collecting but it's time for me to go bigger. I decided I want to jump into the old 1700's and 1800's Spanish coins of North and South America. I just bought my first Real on a Fb coin page as a start. I'm looking for some good advice and maybe some good links for reading and becoming more educated about Spanish coins. I'm actively looking to do some bartering US coins I have for Reales or other coins that would fit into my new collection. I have a ton of morgans and other US coins to move around. Any advice is welcome!
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Spanish Reales

Postby justoneguy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:06 am

I's love to have a few Reales.
What a great name for "real money".
I don't have any idea what to look for in that kind of a coin,
and I'm way to cheap to buy a graded one, so here I sit on the sidelines, just droolingI
I would also like a few "pieces of 8,
But still have the same hold-backs.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Stick with the 1/2, 1, 2, and 4 reales until you have educated yourself thoroughly - the 8s are widely faked, both now and basically since they came out, and there are hundreds of varieties. Don't get over-sold 'shipwreck' coins, most of them are not that rare since necessarily nobody bothers recovering shipwreck silver unless there is a lot of it. Its a GREAT area to get into for the history, especially since these coins were used in the US too.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:59 am

I am not an expert in these by any means, but have also heard comments about there being quite a few fakes.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby charlie1023 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:38 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Stick with the 1/2, 1, 2, and 4 reales until you have educated yourself thoroughly - the 8s are widely faked, both now and basically since they came out, and there are hundreds of varieties. Don't get over-sold 'shipwreck' coins, most of them are not that rare since necessarily nobody bothers recovering shipwreck silver unless there is a lot of it. Its a GREAT area to get into for the history, especially since these coins were used in the US too.

It is also worth noting that the smaller denomination reales are much less in number compared to the 8's, most don't realize it and head to the 8's which also is why the fakes are so prevalent in that size, supply drives demand. I personally wear a 2 reales around my neck from the Pina Colada wreck (most haven't even heard of that one) as I like to buy the less common stuff. If you are unsure of what you are getting and aren't totally educated yet on what to look for, make sure it is certified by a reputable company and watch carefully as the certificates are readily faked as well. Buy from your LCS or someone you can trust and don't be duped just because it says "1812 fleet" or "Nuestra Senora de....." Happy collecting!
charlie1023

Postby spacemanX » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:52 pm

all,
with the interest in reales, i have several spares of the 1/2 thru 4 reales.
look for them on the next KSA.

SpacemanX
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ihavecoins » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Let me know if there is any trade your looking for. I have a lot to work with.

spacemanX wrote:all,
with the interest in reales, i have several spares of the 1/2 thru 4 reales.
look for them on the next KSA.

SpacemanX
www.ihavecoins.com
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby aussamdad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 am

So are these pronounced "Ree al" or do you call them "Royals"?
aussamdad

Postby spacemanX » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Ree al
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ihavecoins » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 pm

I missed the auctions and missed out.

I'm looking to put together a Reales collection on a tight budget. I have a few so far but I would like find some more. Please send me your list and some pricing. Holes are fine as long as you can read the dates and mint marks. This is for my own education and collection.
www.ihavecoins.com
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:56 pm

spacemanX wrote:Ree al

Really? :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics