Anyone know about the new $100?

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Anyone know about the new $100?

Postby wagsthadog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:54 am

Hi all-

Does anyone know any more about the new $100 we were supposed to get, as far as when it is going to be released?

I know they had a problem with the ink about, oh, TWO years ago...was the redesign abandoned?

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Anyone know about the new $100?

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:06 pm

The damn thing will have to be a $1,000 by time it comes out.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Here is a "colorful" theory:

http://www.roadtoroota.com/public/261.cfm

According to the author, the new notes will be postponed indefinitely until the US is ready to return to a gold-backed currency.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby louisianagold » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm

wonder when they will come out?
louisianagold
Penny Pincher Member

Postby thedrifter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:41 pm

He is CRAZY!!! but I hope he is right. Although it maybe painful and scary for awhile.
Nickelmeister wrote:Here is a "colorful" theory:

According to the author, the new notes will be postponed indefinitely until the US is ready to return to a gold-backed currency.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:43 am

I think they will be two ply. They will also come on a roll
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:53 am

Apparently someone couldn't wait for the fed to officially release them. Here is an article from Yahoo news this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-philly-report ... 40601.html
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 am

Seems like someone would have to have inside help to steal these.......something is fishy.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rob72830 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Yep, I think you're right. I wonder if they even knew those were the new bills? I bet they thought it was just a regular shipment and thought they could swipe it and disappear. Now as soon as they try to pass them, they are caught. Those bills will get a lot of attention. Sucks to be them.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Federal Reserve Announces Day of Issue of Redesigned $100 Note
The Federal Reserve Board on Wednesday announced that the redesigned $100 note will begin circulating on October 8, 2013. This note, which incorporates new security features such as a blue, 3-D security ribbon, will be easier for the public to authenticate but more difficult for counterfeiters to replicate.
The new design for the $100 note was unveiled in 2010, but its introduction was postponed following an unexpected production delay. To ensure a smooth transition to the redesigned note when it begins circulating in October, the U.S. Currency Education Program is reaching out to businesses and consumers around the world to raise awareness about the new design and inform them about how to use its security features. More information about the new design $100 note, as well as training and educational materials, can be found at www.newmoney.gov.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Will the Federal Reserve be destroying the old $100 bills as it receives them?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 pm

Any bets that the new notes are already being counterfeited in both Europe and Asia.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:Here is a "colorful" theory:

We won't go back to gold standard unless there is a collapse. It will be short lived even then.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:26 pm

scyther wrote:Will the Federal Reserve be destroying the old $100 bills as it receives them?

Got this Email today--

Mr. Henry,

Thank you for your inquiry. Beginning on October 8, 2013, Federal Reserve Banks will only be paying new design $100 notes out to financial institutions. As older designs make their way through the banking system, they will eventually get returned to the Federal Reserve, where they will be destroyed. For more information on U.S. currency, please visit http://www.newmoney.gov

Best,

Aubrey Maslen
U.S. Currency Education
Federal Reserve Board
20th & C Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20551
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

this is a polymer note correct?
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

John_doe wrote:this is a polymer note correct?

I do not think so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCuDIBy6ssU
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

hmm I wonder what made them decide against polymer? They last a lot longer, and are harder to counterfeit.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 pm

John_doe wrote:hmm I wonder what made them decide against polymer? They last a lot longer, and are harder to counterfeit.

As that all US paper money is printed on cotton from Crane and Co. http://www.cranecurrency.com/Crane_Currency_Company_Profile.pdf and the cotton loby is big and no one else has sold paper to the US in two hundred years.

Crane & Company has manufactured currency and security papers for more than two centuries. We have continually supplied the United States Treasury with its currency paper since 1879. United States Currency utilizes the most durable banknote paper in the world, achieving the longest life span of any paper currency.

Over the decades, the consistent drive of our technology has been in the durability, printability, aesthetics and anticounterfeiting features of banknote papers. Since first embedding silk threads in banknote paper in 1844, Crane has been a leader in developing paper-based counterfeit deterrents, such as advanced security threads, watermarks, planchettes, security fibers, special additives, and fluorescent and phosphorescent elements.

So why would would they change. :mrgreen: Crane is also headquartered in Sweden.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Do they have contractual obligations?

They will just change it again in 5-10 years to try to outrun counterfiet operations. It seems like it would be more cost effective to make one and be done with it. Sure it will cost more for a start up, but after it is started the cost will diminish.

And they bicker about the penny............. :shifty:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Changing from paper to polymer is more than just changing the manufacturing process. All the money handling equipment and processes have to be adapted/adjusted/replaced too. Vending machines, cash counting machines, some counterfeit detection that tests the paper, etc. The countries that have already made the switch have all been much smaller, like 10% - 15% of the population of the US. And their currencies don't circulate globally like the US dollar does, the US has a HUGE currency supply.

That's also one of the reasons they haven't started stamping out steel pennies or nickels. All of our coin handling equipment in the US is based on non-magnetic coins. Magnetism is used to reject coins in a lot of US vending and coin equipment. Canada already had magnetic coins (999 nickel) so switching to steel was not as big of a deal.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John_doe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 pm

natsb88 wrote:Changing from paper to polymer is more than just changing the manufacturing process. All the money handling equipment and processes have to be adapted/adjusted/replaced too. Vending machines, cash counting machines, some counterfeit detection that tests the paper, etc. The countries that have already made the switch have all been much smaller, like 10% - 15% of the population of the US. And their currencies don't circulate globally like the US dollar does, the US has a HUGE currency supply.

That's also one of the reasons they haven't started stamping out steel pennies or nickels. All of our coin handling equipment in the US is based on non-magnetic coins. Magnetism is used to reject coins in a lot of US vending and coin equipment. Canada already had magnetic coins (999 nickel) so switching to steel was not as big of a deal.

They have had to adapt these machines in Canada. You would think vending companies etc would begin to manufacture technology that accepts both types. The magnetism only saves them a few cents typically anyways. It probably costs as much to install the magnets. I don't know this stuff is beyond me I suppose, I am certainly not an engineer.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 pm

So they will be destroying the old ones. Glad I kept a good example I got a while ago.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 pm

scyther wrote:So they will be destroying the old ones. Glad I kept a good example I got a while ago.

I think older notes are more rare than people think. There will be another "bull market" in collectible banknotes someday when the US isn't in recession.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby John_doe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Ancora Imparo