What's the difference in these 2 MASONIC pennies?

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

What's the difference in these 2 MASONIC pennies?

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:37 pm

I have been attributing some of my oddball stuff lately, and noticed that these Masonic stamps are very different. The most obvious difference is the first one is raised, while the second is stamped in. But the question I have, is whether they are actually both meant to be Masonic stamps, or whether the second one is something else altogether. Every Masonic stamp I see has the G in the center. This second one does NOT. Any help here?
Image Image
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What's the difference in these 2 MASONIC pennies?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Anyone? Anything?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What's the difference in these 2 MASONIC pennies?

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:01 pm

While the "G" is really common within the square and compass, it isn't necessary. IIRC, amongst lodges outside of English-speaking countries, you rarely see the "G" as part of the symbol.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc