Inverted Jenny Stamps

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Inverted Jenny Stamps

Postby Morsecode » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Saw these sheets at the PO and decided to buy a couple. I don't know how true stamp collectors keep up with all the commemorative stuff that comes out.

Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Inverted Jenny Stamps

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:56 am

At $12 a sheet looks like the USPS will make a hefty profit. I just read the promo on the USPS website, and it said they chose $2 so it would not be confused with the original 24 cent one. If this is basically for collectors and will never see usage, the $2 denomination seems a bit high since you must buy the entire sheet for $12. I don't see much use for a $2 stamp.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 am

They put out some sheets with a non-inverted Jenny and randomly distributed them. If you get really lucky and get one them you would make some real money. Pretty much all other stamps, besides forever stamps are a big loser for investment purposes.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:09 pm

ScrapMetal wrote:At $12 a sheet looks like the USPS will make a hefty profit. I just read the promo on the USPS website, and it said they chose $2 so it would not be confused with the original 24 cent one. If this is basically for collectors and will never see usage, the $2 denomination seems a bit high since you must buy the entire sheet for $12. I don't see much use for a $2 stamp.

Use them on packages. I ordered a few sheets, the chance of getting a non-inverted sheet is better than playing the lottery.
natsb88

Postby Country » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I bought a few to spruce up my packages. Virtually no US stamps after the '30s depression have any value; most can be bought under face these days on EBAY. :thumbdown:

Nevertheless, this is a nice mini-sheet. I like the original Jennys better (even the un-inverted ones are nice)! :thumbup:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Here is a recent news release about the non-inverted version

http://about.usps.com/news/national-rel ... 13_079.htm
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Taylor3006 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:57 am

Country wrote:I bought a few to spruce up my packages. Virtually no US stamps after the '30s depression have any value; most can be bought under face these days on EBAY. :thumbdown:

Nevertheless, this is a nice mini-sheet. I like the original Jennys better (even the un-inverted ones are nice)! :thumbup:

Actually modern stamps (past 10 years) sell for a premium over stamps produced from the 30's to the 90's. The mint stamps have higher face values and most have lower production runs, the used stamps are harder to find because fewer and fewer people write letters and if they send packages, they get those postal meter labels mostly or ship by private carrier. Stamps from earlier than the 2000's are plentiful unused or used and besides a few exceptions, can be had for face value unused or a nickel used. I would expect that once production ceases on the inverted Jenny stamp, the price retail will be double face value as most of the higher denominated postage stamps have done. As a collector, every year I buy two of each priority mail and express mail stamps that come out. I save one of each for my collection and hang on to the spares, selling them when the price goes way up to other collectors thus paying for my most expensive face value stamps. It can take a year or two but I always make out even or a bit extra.
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?" Harlan Carter
Taylor3006

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

OK. I guess I'm always the contrarian. I bought a couple sheets of these to use on some heavier packages (telling the recipients to save the cancelled examples for me). I stick these on upside down, so the plane is flying normally, but the rest of the stamp is inverted. "Look! Look! This one is different! The plane is normal, but everything else is upside down! This must be a really rare one!" DUH!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 am

Know Common Cents wrote:...telling the recipients to save the cancelled examples for me...

I just received my first one in the mail over the weekend. Remind me of that, if we work out any other deal in the future, and I will toss the stamp in with it. Like maybe if you win some of my stuff in the May KSA!!! wink wink nudge nudge
uthminsta

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Taylor3006 wrote:
Country wrote:I bought a few to spruce up my packages. Virtually no US stamps after the '30s depression have any value; most can be bought under face these days on EBAY. :thumbdown:

Actually modern stamps (past 10 years) sell for a premium over stamps produced from the 30's to the 90's. The mint stamps have higher face values and most have lower production runs, the used stamps are harder to find because fewer and fewer people write letters and if they send packages, they get those postal meter labels mostly or ship by private carrier. Stamps from earlier than the 2000's are plentiful unused or used and besides a few exceptions, can be had for face value unused or a nickel used. I would expect that once production ceases on the inverted Jenny stamp, the price retail will be double face value as most of the higher denominated postage stamps have done. As a collector, every year I buy two of each priority mail and express mail stamps that come out. I save one of each for my collection and hang on to the spares, selling them when the price goes way up to other collectors thus paying for my most expensive face value stamps. It can take a year or two but I always make out even or a bit extra.

Thanks for the info. Do you sell your extras on e-bay or somewhere else? Don't you think the Inverted Jenny stamps might have a higher than normal for high value stamps production run since they were promoted so heavily? I have a inverted jenny sheet with the red wing tip error. Do you think it will be worth much? Anyway good to see people with stamp knowledge. I got into stamps a little bit as I like to see all the art and info on them from over the years and try to save money on shipping buying them under face value.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc