Forever stamp price went down?

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Forever stamp price went down?

Postby hobo finds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 am

Stamps are now $.47 down from $.49!

https://www.usps.com/business/prices.htm

Postage rate reductions include:
•First-class stamps — 47 cents (old rate, 49 cents)
•Each additional ounce for letters — 21 cents (old rate, 22 cents)
•First-class metered mail (first ounce) — 46.5 cents (old rate, 48.5 cents)
•Postcards – 34 cents (old rate, 35 cents)
•Certified mail — $3.30 (old rate, $3.45)
•Media mail (1-pound piece) — $2.61 (old rate, $2.72)
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Forever stamp price went down?

Postby joee5 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 pm

Man that sucks. Just bought a hundred few weeks back
joee5

Postby Country » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:31 pm

First time postage rates decreased since 1919. Went from 3c to 2c after WWI. :geek:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:57 pm

Saves me a few cents every First Class Ebay or KSA package :thumbup:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 am

Why on Earth would they lower prices? Is there competition with small parcels?
I really fail to understand this. Some sort of political decision?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 am

I believe the last increase was a temporary authorized one and this is the roll back
TXBullion

Postby AdamsSamoa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

I believe the last increase was a temporary authorized one and this is the roll back

Correct!
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 am

Yep, the last First Class Mail increase was only legislated as a temporary surcharge to help the USPS fund some liabilities (i.e. the pre-funding of pensions that Congress also mandated, to an extent that no other agency has ever been required to do). The USPS lobbied Congress to make the increase permanent, but it apparently fell on deaf ears. The USPS expects to lose an additional $2 billion a year as a result.
natsb88

Postby hobo finds » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

The USPS expects to lose an additional $2 billion a year as a result. :shock: :shock: :shock: only in America :roll:
hobo finds

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 pm

I think the congress has been bought by private interests that would like to see the postal service be destroyed and asset stripped.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:23 pm

hobo finds wrote:The USPS expects to lose an additional $2 billion a year as a result. :shock: :shock: :shock: only in America :roll:

No one gets mad when the Congress passes a $305 billion highway bill, but if they Post Office loses a penny.... Both are infrastructure. If you factor in the income taxes that the 600,000 employees of the USPS pay, its probably net generating money to the government. Cheapest jobs program the government ever made!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:06 am

I usually buy discounted US postage on eBay paying about $0.65 or less per $1 face. Being able to save 2 cents now on a Forever stamp now seems to be grossly irrelevant.

How about rolling back the recent painful increases in the Flat Rate Box categories? I didn't calculate the percentage of increase for those, but it seems inappropriate given the lower fuel prices.

Stop the pain!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wolvesdad » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Being that I have recently been selling off a lot of personal possessions and collectibles and coins on eBay, and here, I was very happy to see the minor, but helpful postage decrease.

As said yes, the surcharge that was passed a couple years ago expired. Bringing the rates back to what they were a couple years ago, I believe.

I have also bought a fair amount of the discounted postage in the past, but as my wife pointed out recently, we wonder if it's really worth it. Because I usually spend an additional 5 to 10 minutes per package counting out and trying to affix the stamps postage in a way that fits without the post office rejecting it. I still have to leave room for their labels for tracking and makeup postage.

So I've almost used up my stock of old postage, and I am debating whether or not to buy anymore.

ONE THING THAT I HAD NOT REALIZED, THAT MAYBE IS STUPID ON MY PART, IS THAT ON ITEMS THAT NEED TO FIT INTO A MEDIUM OR LARGE FLAT RATE SIZE BOX, BUT WEIGH BETWEEN ONE AND 10 POUNDS, MAYBE CHEAPER IN ACTUALLY CALCULATED BOXES, STILL SHIPPING IT PRIORITY.

I SAVED $1.50 RECENTLY BY ACCIDENT, BECAUSE IT DIDN'T FIT IN A FLAT RATE BOX. AND I HAD SUPPOSED THAT A FLAT RATE WOULD'VE BEEN CHEAPER. LESSON LEARNED!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc