Movie The Post and gold certificate

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Movie The Post and gold certificate

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 am

I just got through watching the movie The Post and there was a scene where they were looking at the money from a lemonade sale and there was a $10 gold certificate in the pile. At least I think it was a gold certificate and if so could you still find those in circulation in the early 70s? So if you happen to go see the movie could you keep an eye out and let me know what you guys think ?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Movie The Post and gold certificate

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 am

Franklin would have been ALL OVER that gold certificate if he saw it!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Movie The Post and gold certificate

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 pm

henrysmedford wrote:I just got through watching the movie The Post and there was a scene where they were looking at the money from a lemonade sale and there was a $10 gold certificate in the pile. At least I think it was a gold certificate and if so could you still find those in circulation in the early 70s? So if you happen to go see the movie could you keep an eye out and let me know what you guys think ?

could just be prop money that is based off the gold certificate, but id imagine there were still a small handful finding their way out of old coat pockets, purses, mason jars, books, safe deposit boxes etc

my mom found some US 90% in an old purse she hadn't worn in a few decades
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc