Thinking of dabbling in high denom currency

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Thinking of dabbling in high denom currency

Postby coindood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 pm

I've always wanted to own a $500 or $1000 US FRN. Has anyone done this? Expecting to pay roughly 2x face for encased, graded examples. Curious if there's a market should the novelty wear off in a few years and I decide to sell. Any insight?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Thinking of dabbling in high denom currency

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:26 am

Buying something because you think it would be cool to own is one thing, but I wouldn’t expect to make money on $500 or $1,000 notes. I got a $500 note in 2009 (inherited it and it wasn’t certified)- a pretty cool thing to inherit. I’d be surprised if I could get any more now for it than I could back in 2009. With inflation I would have been better off selling as soon as I got it. Good luck with your decision.

P.S. With anything that isn’t actively bought and sold I would expect Bid/Ask spreads to be quite large- I’d guess somewhere in the 25-40% range.

P.P.S. At some of the bigger coin shows (Long Beach and FUN shows, for instance) you might see 2-3 currency dealers per show.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:31 pm

I am watching this thread because I have always wanted a high denomination note as well. It would just be fun to have one.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:52 pm

I have bought more for fun recently than in a very long time. I most recently bought the entire Presidential Dollars set. Something for me.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:39 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:... I have always wanted a high denomination note as well. It would just be fun to have one.

Exactly.

Of all the coin shows I've been to, I tend to pass by the paper money sellers. And I don't think I've ever seen one for sale here.

For me it would be sentimental too. Most high denom bills were last printed in 1934, the year my late Mom was born.

Plus they're cool conversation pieces. Most people don't even know about bills higher than hundreds.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:46 pm

$500 and $1000 have been pretty popular lately. You used to be able to get a low grade damaged $500 for $550 or so but now even the crappy ones are $600-650. You can expect to pay $800-900 for a low grade problem free $500 and $1800+ for a low grade $1000 note.

I think there value should be relatively stable because there are lots of people who just think they are cool and just want to own one.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby coindood » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Those are the prices I've encountered so far. Even more for graded examples.

There's a coin show here in May where I hope to nab one, and perhaps negotiate down a bit.

One thing's for sure - no way am I buying an ungraded one from eBay.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm

coindood wrote:Those are the prices I've encountered so far. Even more for graded examples.

There's a coin show here in May where I hope to nab one, and perhaps negotiate down a bit.

If you have a grade and price point I would be happy to help try to find one.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby coindood » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:57 am

highroller4321 wrote:
coindood wrote:Those are the prices I've encountered so far. Even more for graded examples.

If you have a grade and price point I would be happy to help try to find one.

I appreciate that, Adam. :thumbup:

If I were an impulse buyer, I'd say find one of both with a budget of around $4k, which is really tempting.

I think I'll wait until the May show. 200+ dealers should have something. But should that pan out I'll for sure take you up on the offer, thx.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Around the time of the last post I was very close to pulling the trigger on an eBay purchase, but it just didn't seem like the right time.

Now, with the COVID-19 uncertainty seemingly growing each day, I'm glad I held on to my discretionary funds.

Plus, not only could coin shows start being cancelled, but businesses may initiate closures for brief periods.

Not a bad idea to have some ready cash.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:52 pm

coindood wrote:Around the time of the last post I was very close to pulling the trigger on an eBay purchase, but it just didn't seem like the right time.

Now, with the COVID-19 uncertainty seemingly growing each day, I'm glad I held on to my discretionary funds.

Plus, not only could coin shows start being cancelled, but businesses may initiate closures for brief periods.

Not a bad idea to have some ready cash.

I can just imagine some enterprising dealer putting coins from a highly infected area (such as Italy) into their own separate box, marking the price down, and calling it a COVID-19 sale. :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:32 am

I sold a pickup in the 80's...in the cash was a $500 note. Sold that note for $750...8-) Today I would have kept that note, back then it was nice to get the extra 250 bucks.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Pretty lofty territory for a bantam high value note collector like me. There are too many possible deal killers that I may be unaware of to take the plunge into these notes. Give me an equal amount in AU or AG and I'll be quite happy.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coindood » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:Pretty lofty territory for a bantam high value note collector like me. There are too many possible deal killers that I may be unaware of to take the plunge into these notes. Give me an equal amount in AU or AG and I'll be quite happy.

Believe me, I'm learning as much as I can too. Pinholes are an issue apparently. Who knew?

If our May coin show still happens this $1200 stimulus check will be put to good use, either for a $500 FRN or old gold.

If the show folds, I'll ask highroller for some assistance. We shall see.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:00 pm

I have access to a $1000 Bill in VF condition. The note has unfortunately been laminated though! This means it basically has plastic over it that can’t be removed. If anyone is interested please let me know. Will probably be around $1600 but I’ll need to know by tomorrow. PM me if interested.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby coindood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 am

highroller4321 wrote:I have access to a $1000 Bill in VF condition. The note has unfortunately been laminated though!

Dang! If it wasn't for that I'd give this serious consideration.

Our local May coin show was postponed until Aug but my priorities are still either a $500 or $1000 FRN.

Thx for keeping this in the back of your mind.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Bought two $1000 Canadian notes at face value off a TD branch. Different versions one 1967 I think and the other from the bird series (1980's). Tucked them away somewhere... now can't find them. Cool to own and I'm sure they are safe. Normally they are sent for distruction.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:50 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Tucked them away somewhere... now can't find them. Cool to own and I'm sure they are safe. Normally they are sent for distruction.

Make sure to screen anything you or your wife takes to charity :shock: :lol:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby coindood » Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Came close to pulling the trigger on a $500 FRN at a coin show this weekend. They had two nice PMG 40 graded examples but at $2200 apiece, it was more than I planned on spending.

The same dealer also had two $1000 notes AND a high grade $5000 bill. :shock: I rarely see that last example even on eBay. Didn't ask but I imagine it had a price tag of around $40K.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 am

I have an alternative that is different, but still cool and WAY LESS EXPENSIVE!

Consider buying the Zimbabwe hyperinflation notes. They’ve got probably 20-30 denominations and the biggest is a whopping 100 TRILLION DOLLARS! It goes for about $120 on eBay. I keep one in my wallet as a conversation piece. It isn’t crisp, but I have others that are. Wait til you see the look on someone’s face when they see it!

Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I have an alternative that is different, but still cool and WAY LESS EXPENSIVE!

Consider buying the Zimbabwe hyperinflation notes. They’ve got probably 20-30 denominations and the biggest is a whopping 100 TRILLION DOLLARS! It goes for about $120 on eBay. I keep one in my wallet as a conversation piece. It isn’t crisp, but I have others that are. Wait til you see the look on someone’s face when they see it!

I've considered that and those are pretty cool, but I ultimately ruled it out. For some reason foreign bills don't hold a fascination with me like foreign coins do.

Just noticed that APMEX deals in high denoms. Right now they even have a $10,000 bill available for a mere $200,000. :o
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Klark Cent » Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 pm

My dad gave me a $500 bill for my high school graduation.
Then later he bought it back from me because he liked it.
He died 34 years later and I inherited it.
I still have it.

It's not graded or anything and is in pretty poor condition.
I guess Al Capone and his buddies circulated the hell out of it.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu May 20, 2021 4:10 pm

Klark Cent wrote:My dad gave me a $500 bill for my high school graduation.
Then later he bought it back from me because he liked it.
He died 34 years later and I inherited it.
I still have it.

It's not graded or anything and is in pretty poor condition.
I guess Al Capone and his buddies circulated the hell out of it.

So you’re dad was Al Capone? (Just kidding)

Recyclersteve

Postby coindood » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:36 pm

Finally committed myself today. Got this at one of the larger local semi-annual coin shows. Very nice dealer who said I could trade up with him for a nicer bill in the future. It's an ungraded 1934 series with a tiny triangular chip below the E in hundred. He wanted $1400 but agreed to just over 2x face. I'm happy with it. :thumbup:

Image Image
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:07 pm

You should make that your avatar, even though its not a coin, dude.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc