'70s vintage $20s

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

'70s vintage $20s

Postby galenrog » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Is there any interest in 1974 and 1977 series $20 Dollar bills? I have access to a few hundred of these through my bank and they will hold them for a few days. They are circulated, and my best guess might be VF20 and a little better. Sorry, no photos. They were offered while I was making a deposit. Looked through for stars and earlier notes. No such luck. PM me with any interest. If you are from my part of Oregon, I will even tell you which bank branch.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Re: '70s vintage $20s

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not a currency dealer, but I don't think there's a premium for those older $20s. You've already checked them for stars or any significant errors, so that potential treasure trove has been eliminated.

Usually, those from the Minneapolis district have the lowest number printed and these may be worth a little more. I'm sure that the ones from the major Fed Reserve districts of New York, Chicago, Atlanta and San Francisco and the most common. Also, I think these earlier notes don't have the magnetic strip embedded in them and may not be recognized by ATMs, slot machines, automated toll booths, etc.

Too bad you can't use those to buy what their purchasing power actually was back in those years. Sad thought, eh?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: '70s vintage $20s

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:I'm not a currency dealer, but I don't think there's a premium for those older $20s. You've already checked them for stars or any significant errors, so that potential treasure trove has been eliminated.

Usually, those from the Minneapolis district have the lowest number printed and these may be worth a little more. I'm sure that the ones from the major Fed Reserve districts of New York, Chicago, Atlanta and San Francisco and the most common. Also, I think these earlier notes don't have the magnetic strip embedded in them and may not be recognized by ATMs, slot machines, automated toll booths, etc.

Too bad you can't use those to buy what their purchasing power actually was back in those years. Sad thought, eh?

+1
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc