1953 series Red Seal Two Dollar Bills

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

1953 series Red Seal Two Dollar Bills

Postby Steel Talon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Hello Friends,

My bank teller held 14 of these Bills for me. Series 1953, 53A 53B,53C red ink seals and serial #'s with Monticello on the reverse. Any collecter value? or resource areas.

NOTE these are the bills that have the number @ on the left almost like a Silver Certificate? and the red seal is on the right covered by the word TWO..

Anyone now why the difference in 2 dollar bills series 1953?
Last edited by Steel Talon on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel Talon

Re: 1953 series Red Seal Two Dollar Bills

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm

No idea, someone will tell you. But if they aren't ripped up, and aren't worth a huge premium I'll trade you a silver dime each for a couple of them so that my daughter can give them to her mother for her birthday (it's her birth year). (I'm not interested in paying a bunch for them, not THAT keen on them, and I'm not married to her anymore.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: 1953 series Red Seal Two Dollar Bills

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm

More of a curiosity than a treasure, actually. The red seal United States Notes have an interesting history leading up to around the Kennedy assassination in Nov, 1963. There were also two versions of the red seal $100 notes printed as series 1966 and 1966A The star notes from these command a lot of money. The regular ones are about twice face or less unless in crisp uncirculated condition.

Your 1953 series reds are interesting, but not valuable. I inherited about 15 from my Father and took them to several local coin dealers thinking I could pump up my bank account with these. Nope. The most I was offered was $2.50 each.

Those with torn corners (the way supposedly to remove the bad luck curse of the $2 bill in those days) carry no premium and might as well be spent or left as a tip. If spent, expect 5 store managers called over to decide if it's a counterfeit of some type.

I'd keep the best one from each of the different series and turn the others loose. I do like the idea of swapping for a silver dime (make it a Mercury) if the other party includes a stamp for you to mail them the bill.

Regardless, still a good find. Congratulate the teller on having a keen eye and tell them you'll take any others they may find. Never know when tthey'll turn up a star note or one of an earlier series such as the 1928s.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc