Starting a Peace Dollar Collection.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Starting a Peace Dollar Collection.

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 pm

So Dad has been talking about getting into the peace dollar collection groove. He has a few other dandy sets that he has busted tail on recently and brought up to par. I like the idea so I picked us up both each an intercept shield binder for our sets today of FeeBay. Phone rings an hour later…its dad. “well I don’t have as many set worthy peace dollars as I expected….How are you looking?” :roll: so it begins

Long story short, I am pretty stoked about working from just about scratch with dad on putting together two nice peace sets.

Some issues I face:
1. I have a hard time grading them when they are sliders…ie 55-62 range (I can grade a morgan with the best of them just not peace...not yet)
2. What to do about the keys? Buy them BU raw (as a poor grader) or crack them free from 3rd party holders (which I have done before but still makes me cringe)
3. How do I keep dad from high grading out of my bulk rolls? Trying to trade his peace slicks + a roosie thinking that it is fair. :lol:
4. Where do I start in the series?

Good habits that I formed collecting Morgans that I will implement:
1. Make a list of the series date and mintmark on excel
2. Pick the grades that I want and can afford. (I am a big fan of buying the grade just below the HUGE price increase)
3. Review realized prices on eBay and cross reference them to the greysheet (very time consuming but pays heavy in dividends)
4. Look for great eye and wallet appeal in my selected grade want lists and purchase
5. Sell a kidney and repeat.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Starting a Peace Dollar Collection.

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 am

Your good habits are right on. Selling a kidney seems a little extreme though. :lol:

Have you considered getting some common peace dollars in 3rd party slabs? Perhaps studying them would help you grade the sliders. Teletrade.com has auctions four days a week so you might be able to pick up some decent priced TGPed peaces to compare.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 am

What do you mean by "sliders"?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Sliders are a real nice AU that they try to pass as unc or a xf/au borderline that they try to push to the high au bracket.

By the way RB, Good Luck; I've been thinking about doing that myself.
I never finish sets; I still need a few ASEs to complete a set, but way over in some years.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Ah, so coins that can arguably be in two grades depending upon the graders point of view?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Grading is very subjective, by definition. That's why on e-bay a lot of raw coins are listed with a disclaimer.

No quicker way to start an arguement t,han over the condition of a coin. a slider is a coin that is marginal between two grades and is represented as the higher grade, so as to "slide by" the buyers expectations.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Decided to buy several 1922-p pcgs slabed coins to get a good grasp.

buying on of each in au55-58, 63, 64, 65 then going to put a loupe to them.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby rakattack » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Rode, sounds like you're getting off to a great start on grading. I would recommend buying the key dates ONLY IN PCGS AND NGC slabs. There have been way too many reports recently of people trying to cross (send the coin to PCGS or NGC to be graded) the new ANACS slab (mustard colored) into PCGS or NGC slabs and they have come back as cleaned or problem coins. Also, I would keep the key dates in the slabs. It helps them sell better. If you buy a coin with a green oval sticker on it don't peel it off! They're CAC stickers. http://www.caccoin.com/

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.
rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justoneguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:What do you mean by "sliders"?

We all know, sliders are small greazy hamburgers
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:49 pm

rakattack wrote:Rode, sounds like you're getting off to a great start on grading. I would recommend buying the key dates ONLY IN PCGS AND NGC slabs. There have been way too many reports recently of people trying to cross (send the coin to PCGS or NGC to be graded) the new ANACS slab (mustard colored) into PCGS or NGC slabs and they have come back as cleaned or problem coins. Also, I would keep the key dates in the slabs. It helps them sell better. If you buy a coin with a green oval sticker on it don't peel it off! They're CAC stickers. http://www.caccoin.com/

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks rakattack.

I am with you a 100% on sticking with pcgs and ngc slabs on the keys.....heck maybe for most of them

I have no reservations about cracking a slab (done it before, will do it agian).....its only plastic and I am a master at extractng things ;) .... I will not be looking to sell the collection anytime soon otherwise I would agree with you %110 .

Not a fan of CAC.....I don't need a 4th party to tell me a coin has good eye appeal or may slide up a grade. I never pay extra for that sticker......matter of fact I try to avoid it. Lots of great eye appeal coins out there without that sticker and it's bloated premium tagged on.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 pm

justoneguy wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:What do you mean by "sliders"?

We all know, sliders are small greazy hamburgers

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pachucko » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for this thread. I'll be watching it with interest. I was thinking about starting a Peace collection, and just started doing some research.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:31 am

Did you get any coins in, yet? How's your grading coming along? A guy came by the table this past weekend with a 22-P in PCGS MS65 and I nearly bought it for you. But when he told me the price he was expecting, I knew that I had to pass. But, I did get some niiiiiiiiice Morgans from him and was able to trade junk silver to get them. Both sides of the table were happy.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to USA Numismatics