Asking for some education

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Asking for some education

Postby plus1hdcp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 pm

I ask you assistance, if you can see from the attached pics, if I have found any proof coins or just decent hole fillers. These came from a box today and I usually don't pay too much attention but feel as though I am overlooking some attractive coins because I am not very good at spotting proofs. Anyway,

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing you comments.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Asking for some education

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:23 pm

The few proofs I have found in circulation will look like a proof coin...the fields are mirror like, they maybe scratched or have many scratches on them but you can still see the mirror that was there at one time. I have found many really nice looking Jefferson nicks. They seem to me not to wear as much...probably due to the hardness of the nickel.

It amazes me when I pull a super nice coin from circulation....most recent was a 1926 D cent with 60% mint luster on it.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:53 pm

The 1961 is the only one that may be a proof. I don't think any of them are though.

http://news.coinupdate.com/collecting-e ... kels-1356/
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby plus1hdcp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03 pm

My scanner does not do the coins justice. The 61 does look like a proof to me and I hope I have it with me if I am ever at a reputable dealer, or better yet I run into a fellow real cent member. The other ones are most likely hole fillers. It was a good box anyway that also contained a 38, 45P, and 50. Thank you highroller for the link. That was a very good read and will help me on my journey to increase my knowledge.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics