Fair Market Value Website

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Fair Market Value Website

Postby george454 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks to Micheal this link will take you to a good website to give you a good feel for Fair market value for all US type coins. I compared the prices on this with the newest "gray sheet" and they were very similar. Not sure how often these prices are updated but it is a great link if you are search for fair market value on coin prices.

http://numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml
george454
Penny Collector Member

Re: Fair Market Value Website

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:45 pm

I have the morgan dollar ms60-ms70 saved on my favorites tab.

Numismedia is pretty close to FMV and is the best free price guide for collectors on the net.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Beau » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:56 pm

your link shows silver is at 15 times?
is this what everyone is selling silver for?
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby george454 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:11 pm

I am not exactly sure on your question but yes this is the dealer sheet. This is what people that do this for a living usually try and buy at. The other thing you have to take into account is grade, this sheet is for more of the higher grade coins, especially the more modern. This is not a good estimate on "junk" or "scrap" silver things that grade in the AG to G range.
george454
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:23 pm

I use this site a lot, especially when I am considering numismatic purchases. The fly in the rug is that the coin purchased must be conservatively and accurately graded. This can be accomplished buying coins that have been submitted to one of the reputable grading services or by dealing with a fair and honest dealer. The typical dealer undergrades the raw coins offered to them and overgrades the coins sold by them. The best way to surmount this is to try and build up some expertise on your own by comparing coins that are for sale by dealers, both online and in coin shops, with available numismatic grading literature and online guides. :)
Last edited by Country on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby george454 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Country wrote:The best way to surmount this is to try and build up some expertise on your own by comparing coins that are for sale by dealers, both online and in coin shops, with available numismatic grading literature and online guides. :)

Country got this exactly right, if you have not trained yourself to be a good judge of grading the coin you are going to purchase then I would hold off on them, especially when they are in the raw state. Before I make any purchase when it comes to a coin that is going to have numismatic value I will defienantly do my reaserch. I have a grading book and will generally look at pics of slabbed coins on the internet at the coin store and lesser graded coins I already own.
george454
Penny Collector Member

Postby just carl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Numismedia is rather decent in pricing. However, remember not always up to date either. If you go to a coin show or coin store, there is about a 99% chance the dealer will open up a Grey Sheet for final pricing of coins. For the people at home using a computer, Numismedia is just one of the possible places for values. The thing to remember is more and more people look up values on ebay since regardless of what anyone says about a price, what is the final on ebay for a sale is what the price really is.
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm

just carl wrote:Numismedia is rather decent in pricing. However, remember not always up to date either. If you go to a coin show or coin store, there is about a 99% chance the dealer will open up a Grey Sheet for final pricing of coins. For the people at home using a computer, Numismedia is just one of the possible places for values. The thing to remember is more and more people look up values on ebay since regardless of what anyone says about a price, what is the final on ebay for a sale is what the price really is.

That is true about ebay to a certain extent but the one thing I hate to hear from someone when I'm "buying" a collection or some sort is well on Ebay they're going for XX.XX. I want to say well go right ahead and go try to get that for your coin. Most probably they have looked up and either saw some inflated buy-it-now price or if they're really clever, have checked the completed auctions and picked a coin that was over their grade or the one that went for the most (if grading does not determine the value). I just want to laugh, first of all, there are tons of questions I have to ask them, was shipping included? Did you factor in the fees? Are you an established ebay member that others would feel comfortable shelling out top value for? Do you even have an account and paypal set up? Can you take good pictures an upload them? Have you realized thats there is tons of work involved in listings, decriptions, knowing how to ship and package, and ect. Do you need the money today or in a week or two? Sigh it really is a pain in the butt. When buying though I will check the ebay prices from time to time for myself. I factor in all of these things when making a purchase to see it its worth while to me to make the purchase. Thats just built in protection and only used as a last resort, as in if I can't sell the coins/silver/gold anywhere else I could at least get this on Ebay. Other than that I hate the place and feel for the most part, that buying on there is now too much to make it a "great" deal like in the past and selling is just an out right scam!

Scotty
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:14 pm

Wow great site George and or Mike!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JohnMathew » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 am

True fair market value of any commodity (real estate included) is arrived at when a buyer and seller agree to a price with specific terms and consummate
JohnMathew

Postby misteroman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Made this a sticky as it was getting far down the page and think that site is a great asset!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby just carl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 am

JohnMathew wrote:True fair market value of any commodity (real estate included) is arrived at when a buyer and seller agree to a price with specific terms and consummate

Sort of exactly what I was pointing out. Someone can say ebay or other such sites are poor, bad, horrible or anything else negative but regardless, millions and millions of people do use those sites all the time. True most people do not take into account miscellaneous fees from those sites but just say I got it for XXX and no mention of those other prices are noted.
Many coin web sites list prices but as noted if you go to buy something, anything, what you pay is what someone is willing to sell it for, not a price on some price Guide. Always remember a price guide is just that, a GUIDE.
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mflugher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:46 pm

just carl wrote:
JohnMathew wrote:True fair market value of any commodity (real estate included) is arrived at when a buyer and seller agree to a price with specific terms and consummate

Sort of exactly what I was pointing out. Someone can say ebay or other such sites are poor, bad, horrible or anything else negative but regardless, millions and millions of people do use those sites all the time. True most people do not take into account miscellaneous fees from those sites but just say I got it for XXX and no mention of those other prices are noted.
Many coin web sites list prices but as noted if you go to buy something, anything, what you pay is what someone is willing to sell it for, not a price on some price Guide. Always remember a price guide is just that, a GUIDE.

Agreed... However numismedia is really good for sorting the "better" dates out of your collection of pennies/junk silver. it has a baseline price then the good ones are always worth more and you can figure which are best.

Not well worded, but its what I use.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:33 am

You can get a free membership to NGCCOIN.com. Granted, the prices are only for NGC-Graded coins, but I think they pull some or all of their data from Numismedia
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby helzelscoins » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah, the prices on NGC are pretty close to Numismedia, most are just slightly higher.
helzelscoins

Postby FatherRosado » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 pm

thanks for the site. This has lots of info.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby flynavy812 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks, gonna have to check this out.
flynavy812

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 am

thanks for this. Is there a good website like this for world coins?
jaybird

Postby Verbane » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

jaybird wrote:thanks for this. Is there a good website like this for world coins?

World Coin Price Guide - These prices are for NGC slabbed problem free coins. I've found these prices tend to be close to 30% higher than market value for problem free raw coins.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Verbane wrote:
jaybird wrote:thanks for this. Is there a good website like this for world coins?

World Coin Price Guide - These prices are for NGC slabbed problem free coins. I've found these prices tend to be close to 30% higher than market value for problem free raw coins.

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/

Thank you!
jaybird

Postby Tinbox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:53 pm

Beau wrote:your link shows silver is at 15 times?
is this what everyone is selling silver for?

Retail is about 15X face value.
Tinbox

Postby daviscfad » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Lol that post is 5 years old
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ilmoam » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:13 am

Seems like a lot of the posts here are old, except the marketplace posts.
Payment Options: Cash, Postal Money Order, Venmo, or Google Wallet
ilmoam
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wolvesdad » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:38 pm

ilmoam wrote:Seems like a lot of the posts here are old, except the marketplace posts.

True...alot has to do with: everything has been said..... Sorta.

But read up, and post, and if its a question, you'll almost always have a current member give a current clarification or answer!

Peace
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics