Valuations wanted

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Valuations wanted

Postby fasTT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Sorry for the very quick and crappy pics.

First - a 1888 $3 gold coin. Tested and weighed correctly. Unfortunately, was made into a pendant. Very nice condition otherwise.

Secondly, a very interesting note. I have no idea if it is authentic and did not remove it from its plastic wrapping. It states it is a The Bank of the United States and hand signed 1840.

These were brought to me from a friend and want to give him an accurate selling price.

TIA,
Daniel
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Valuations wanted

Postby fasTT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 pm

The note is fake, should have googled before I posted.

I do believe the coin to be real. Any thoughts?
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Valuations wanted

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:40 am

fasTT wrote:The note is fake, should have googled before I posted.

I do believe the coin to be real. Any thoughts?

It's got 2 things going against it. It is a jewelry piece, and it is soldered, aka damaged. ANACS will grade this coin. I do not think that they will remove the solder, however. You'll have to take care of that and then submit it for authentication. If you want to get more than bullion value for it, this is probably your best option. The $3 gold pieces are tough to come by and it should sell for a good premium even if the slab says, "Details: solder damage, jewelry piece" or something like that. I've seen ANACS slabbed $5 gold "jewelry" coins sell for more than scrap price at auctions. I think the important part is getting it in a slab, which will cost you about $40 all said and done, but should increase the selling price dramatically more.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to USA Numismatics