Morgan Dollars: Let's see some pics!

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Morgan Dollars: Let's see some pics!

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:03 am

Many collectors have a favorite coin. Mine is the Morgan Dollar. Everyone should have one or more.

I have studied the history of them. I consider myself an expert on them and can grade them accurately. I like to inspect them for varieties, aka VAM attribution. But, more importantly, I just plain old like them! Big silver coins are the best!

Post some questions, post some interesting information, but more importantly, post some pictures of your Morgans!

Here, I'll start us off with a MS65 1978-S with DMPL obverse and PL reverse:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Morgan Dollars: Let's see some pics!

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Not a real rare coin here.....but great eye appeal, minus check chatter, for an MS-62 with that light peripheral toning. Owned and sold this coin.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:39 pm

ImageImage

7/8 strong overgraded by pcgs at MS-63. Way to many large marks on the obverse.....Yuck what an ugly morgan.

Couldn't sell this one fast enough. Still came out ahead. ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Beau » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 pm

I have a lot of Morgan dollars that I bought different places.
the main ones I have that are new BU I bought at a Houston coin show.
there were two men sitting at a table, nothing on the table, so I said ya`ll sitting here to look pretty or do you have something for sale.

they said we have Morgan Dollars, then he handed me 2 rolls that were the original rolls, back when the inside of the roll was thin tin with paper around them.
I asked him the price and he told me, he said they had never been opened since 1878 and other dates.
I said how many rolls do you have, he said why?
I said I want to buy them. he said good we can go home early.
I bought them cheap then comapred to now, because silver was at $4.50 then.
sure wish I could find more original rolls.

these guys were from Oregon.
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Beau wrote:I have a lot of Morgan dollars that I bought different places.
the main ones I have that are new BU I bought at a Houston coin show.
there were two men sitting at a table, nothing on the table, so I said ya`ll sitting here to look pretty or do you have something for sale.

they said we have Morgan Dollars, then he handed me 2 rolls that were the original rolls, back when the inside of the roll was thin tin with paper around them.
I asked him the price and he told me, he said they had never been opened since 1878 and other dates.
I said how many rolls do you have, he said why?
I said I want to buy them. he said good we can go home early.
I bought them cheap then comapred to now, because silver was at $4.50 then.
sure wish I could find more original rolls.

these guys were from Oregon.

hmmm.... I don't believe you unless I see some pictures ;)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 am

I don`t have a camera, that is next on my list?

SORRY
Beau
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm

1896-S VAM 5. This is a Hot 50 VAM. I sent it to ICG as the coin had been lightly cleaned in the past. It was most likely a coin in a display case and was periodically "dusted" The grade is MS60 details with the VAM 5 attribution on the holder.

This is what the S/S looks like:

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm

I just got this today, tonight, like 2 hours ago and had to show it off... well, both of them!

1883-CC Cameo Deep Mirror Proof Like Morgan Dollar. I have it graded as a solid MS63 DMPL. The mirrors are even deeper than this picture. More like 10+ inches.

And this angle shows the cameo effect:

And while I'm at it, I also picked up this beauty tonight, so I'll show it off, too:

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:12 am

Nice set of coins.....A cool vam and a sweet DMPL.

I put the obverse of the 83 at MS63 as well. Looks as though the fields are pretty clean (which I like) and the chater is mostly located on the high parts of the check and brow.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby rakattack » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Market Harmony wrote:I just got this today, tonight, like 2 hours ago and had to show it off... well, both of them!

1883-CC Cameo Deep Mirror Proof Like Morgan Dollar. I have it graded as a solid MS63 DMPL. The mirrors are even deeper than this picture. More like 10+ inches.

Very nice coin. I don't know too much about PL and DMPL morgans, but from the pictures it doesn't look like 10+ inches. From the picture with the quarter wrapper the mirror seems to fog away at around 3-4 inches.
rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 pm

rakattack wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:I just got this today, tonight, like 2 hours ago and had to show it off... well, both of them!

Very nice coin. I don't know too much about PL and DMPL morgans, but from the pictures it doesn't look like 10+ inches. From the picture with the quarter wrapper the mirror seems to fog away at around 3-4 inches.

That's the thing about pictures... they never capture the true details of a coin.

Here's some good information on distinguishing between SPL, PL, DMPL, and UPL Morgan Dollars: http://coins.about.com/od/uscoins/f/dmpl_morgans.htm

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Just got this one on eBay. Grades out IMO as the holder has it (solid ms65).......but….and I mean BUT……. man what great mirrors! Where is that pl or dmpl designation that this coin deserves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... fresh=true
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Just got this one on eBay. Grades out IMO as the holder has it (solid ms65).......but….and I mean BUT……. man what great mirrors! Where is that pl or dmpl designation that this coin deserves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... fresh=true

That is an awesome cameo coin... probably did not get the PL or DMPL due to reverse, but a resubmission would not be a bad idea because you could very well get a little '+' next to that 65 and have a shot at PL if the grader was in a better mood. I'm jealous. That's a nice coin for a great price.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Market Harmony wrote:...1883-CC Cameo Deep Mirror Proof Like Morgan Dollar. I have it graded as a solid MS63 DMPL. The mirrors are even deeper than this picture. More like 10+ inches...

Came back from PCGS just as expected... MS63DMPL :mrgreen:

And here's my latest acquisition. I've been getting into toned coins more and more. I just like the beauty of the toning. This one has awesome blue to red obverse and reverse rim toning leading to a bright white center:

This is the 3rd generation NGC holder... fatty with blue label. These are scanned images and do not capture the true beauty... might have to play with the camera to see if I can get better images.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:06 am

Here's a better picture than what the scanner made the coin out to look like. This is a much better representation of the actual appearance of the coin:

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics