Roosevelt Dime Design "Controversy"

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Roosevelt Dime Design "Controversy"

Postby Verbane » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 am

This article was on my news feed this morning.

Apparently this "controversy" has roiled the coin world for years. According to this author, John Sinnock may not have sculpted the Roosevelt bust design for the Dime, stating that the design was "stolen" from another artist. The article makes many claims, but then fails to provide any evidence of the claim or cite any source.

The caption under the side by side comparison states: "Many numismatists see clear differences between Sinnock’s dime design and Burke’s plaque."
It should read: "All people without a narrative to push will see clear differences between Sinnock’s dime design and Burke’s plaque."

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/who-designed-american-dime-selma-burke-franklin-roosevelt

Has anyone ever heard of this controversy prior to reading this article? Or, is this fake news just in time for February's black history month? Sinnock and Burke both sculpted profile busts of the same person, we should expect the designs to be similar.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Re: Roosevelt Dime Design "Controversy"

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 am

The subject is the same, taken at approximately the same time of life, facing in the same direction, of the same type (bust). Of course they look similar - if they didn't then at least one of them would be a poor likeness.

In details, they don't look at all alike (to me).

Hadn't heard of this "controversy", though a controversy can be made of anything these days, even a bad consensual date from 20 years ago.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Roosevelt Dime Design "Controversy"

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 pm

I have a bit of a different slant on the Roosevelt Dime concern. Yes, I'm a geezer now at age 67, but remember all the controversy about the Roosie dimes.

Think about the initials JS that appear on the dimes. In my pre-geezer days, I was always told that the JS initials were for Josef Stalin of Russia. Of course, this was all back in the time of the so-called Cold War. We were all too concerned about having a Cuban missile be focused on our house to be really interested in what the Russians and Cubans were doing to the world in general.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics