Pre-1934 US cent hole fillers

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Pre-1934 US cent hole fillers

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 am

I've been (mostly) casually collecting US cents and nickels since my dad got me a couple of whitman albums in the early 60s when I was sick, to help pass the time. Dad also had his collection. I just merged the two collections into two sets, one with the best and the other with the left-overs. With the help of a 50D nickel from Wags I now have the best Jefferson nickel collection complete, and I have the Lincoln cent collection essentially complete from 1934 on (still missing 36S and 38D).

I realize there are a few cents (09 VDB-S, for example) that I'm mostly likely never going to get even in the worst condition because of their rarity and my cheapness, but I would like to fill as many of the pre-34 holes as possible, just because. Looks like most of them can be gotten BIN on ebay for a couple of bucks each, but I would rather do business here.

If any of you on-going sorters have a pile of duplicates and are willing to sell (or possibly trade, if I have duplicates you need) PM me and I'll send you a list of gap coins. Just looking for circulating coins with readable dates and no major physical damage or verdigris.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pre-1934 US cent hole fillers

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:06 am

Can you make a list of the dates you are looking for?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Can you make a list of the dates you are looking for?

I had a surprise RC benefactor agree to help so I delayed in answering until I could see what they had, as I didn't want to jerk people around and end up with duplicates. My benefactor supplied me with 21 of my missing cents! So here are the 20 that I'm still missing, with their rough circulation. These will be difficult to find I know, I'll do well to find even a couple of them, but if anyone has a spare of one of them please let me know.

Thanks! 68

09-S VDB .5M
09-S 2M
10-S 6M
11-D 13M
11-S 4M
12-D 10M
12-S 4M
13-D 16M
13-S 6M
14-D 1M
14-S 4M
15-S 5M
22-D 7M
22 (plain) unk
23-S 9M
24-D 2M
24-S 12M
26-S 4M
31-D 4M
31-S .9M
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:00 pm

If I remember I'll check mine this evening. Bet I have a few....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm

My set is complete except for all the usual suspects:

1909-S-VDB
1909-S
1911-S
1914-D
1931-S
and technically also 1922-Plain but my album does not have a slot for it!

I need to upgrade some of the early ones too, a few are pretty ugly
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Those are 6 that I'm sure I'll never see, so I'm obviously more hopeful about the others. If a professional cent sorter who runs through coin by the billions hasn't found them, I'm sure they won't fall into my lap.
68Camaro

Postby CoinsnioC » Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 pm

09S $70
11S $30
14D $150
31S $80
SVDB $600
22 $700

put aside a little bit, then a little more, let it add up and then they could fall into your lap. you could always sell them if you need the money.

having a full set of anything is a good feeling

as for the others you're missing, partial sets are all over the place on ebay for relatively cheap. that's the way to go.. otherwise, buying a 23S, then a 24S, and then a 31D, etc would end up costing way more than it'd be worth
CoinsnioC

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:16 pm

68 Cam: Don't give up on your quest to plug those empty holes that you need for a complete set. Resist the temptation to make a quick find of those you need because you'll be back in the marketplace looking for a better example when you're able to really enjoy your completed set. Buyer's remorse gnaws away at you in the darkest hours of the night.

I started going through penny rolls at age 6 (back in 1957, that is) under the supervision of my Dad. We went through a $50 face bag of cents 1X or 2X per week and I NEVER found an 09S-VDB and a couple of other key coins in circulation then. I always thought that each worn-looking cent would be The One when I turned it over, but no such luck.

Don't despair, though, as with your accumulated FRNs, you have an opportunity to buy the coin that really fits into your set. Only problem is that once you have a complete set of Lincoln cents, you'll turn your attention to Wash quarters or Walkers with the same zest you had for the Lincs. Having a complete set of anything inspires the acquirer to try it again with even more gusto.

Trust me, I speak from experience here. Best of luck in your hunt.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I’m still working on my set of $3 gold coins in MS-64 or better. Currently, if you include all grades, I have ZERO coins in the set. So I’ve got just a bit further to go... :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to USA Numismatics