Sacagawea Coins - Time to Stop

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Sacagawea Coins - Time to Stop

Postby Histman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't know about anybody else, but I can't wait for this coins series to stop. These coins, along with the presidential dollar coins, tone way too fast unless you have them in capsules. I was glad the presidents stopped and won't miss the Sacagawea coins when they go away. I collect them now because I have the series, but argh!
Histman
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Sacagawea Coins - Time to Stop

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am

Oh no, Ecuador absolutely needs the Sac. See this recent article from Gainesville Coins: https://blog.gainesvillecoins.com/2017/03/25/sacagawea/
It's my understanding the indigenous locals relate better to her than our dead presidents. Though I have heard our presidents are circulating there also, I cannot comment from personal experience. This has been going on for years.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Histman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am

Interesting. I guess I am coming at it from a collector's point of view rather than a practical use point of view. I don't suppose they would like Susan B. Anthony? :)
Histman
Penny Pincher Member

Postby CoinsnioC » Sun May 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't collect anything new.. but, at least the Sac's are pleasantly designed. They're cool looking. Especially the proofs. What I'm looking forward to dying is the quarter thing. State Q's were bad enough, but it just keeps going & going.... will it ever go back to a simple P mint, D mint, and a proof....
CoinsnioC

Postby hobo finds » Sun May 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Just stop printing the paper dollar bill and they will be used....
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Klark Cent » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

hobo finds wrote:Just stop printing the paper dollar bill and they will be used....

Agreed
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 pm

The $1 coins from Susie B to current are a just plain annoyance. Nice that our friends in Ecuador love the Sacs, but they're nothing other than unrecognizable US coins that have only a perceived value of one US buck. While I'm not a fan of our FRNs, I'd much rather have a pocketful of those than a handful of Susie B coins and Sacs. These seem to be only a make-work project for the US Mint in order to placate those who demand representation of Native Americans on our nation's coinage.

Try taking a pocketful of Susie B dollars and Sacs to the bank and get back to me about how well received they are at the teller window. Let's honor our Native American brothers and sisters in a more honorable manner.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:26 pm

I spend the dollar coins from 1979 to present. they have no collector appeal or numismatic value to me. However, I must ask: What is an FRN? Federal Reserve Note? If so, aren't those considered Hiney Wipes today? Lol
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:39 pm

The way the current administration is destroying the currency through inflation we may soon find it cheaper to use them as honey wipes.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Canada did it right by pulling all the $1 and $2 bills when coins were rolled out. Canadians widely used the $2 bill and widely use the $2 coin too unlike the US.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:04 am

JadeDragon wrote:Canada did it right by pulling all the $1 and $2 bills when coins were rolled out. Canadians widely used the $2 bill and widely use the $2 coin too unlike the US.

I try to do my part on reintroducing ,funny money, into Tucson's money stream. To the point that cashiers know me as that guy spending WIERD MONEY.
I suspect most of it goes home with them.
I get asked all the time for money for the tooth fairy, bday, Xmas etc.
Cutest one is, those Big quarters ,as was related to me. Asking for halves.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics