NGC slabbed coin

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

NGC slabbed coin

Postby cyberdan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 pm

I just got this 1960 Proof Franklin and did research to see if this was counterfeit or not. The labels and hologram are just a little different than on their website, but I think they change every now and then. I want to re-sell but I want to make sure it is real first.
Attachments
FRANK-O.jpg
FRANK-O.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
FRANK-F.jpg
FRANK-F.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Last edited by cyberdan on Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Re: NGC slabbed coin

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Your message says this is a proof 1950, but the coin in the photos is a 1960. Also, if you go to ngccoin.com, you can select
Resources/Verify NGC Certification and type in the slab number and the grade to see photos of the real coin. You said "their website", but I didn't know if you were referring to NGC or some counterfeit detection site.

Was there some specific reason why you thought this might not be real? (a sleazy looking person offering to sell it for $3 or something like that)

Also, I'd say that if you really had a 1950, it would be worth more like $250-350 instead of the $15-20 that a 1960 would likely fetch.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cyberdan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Sorry, that was a typo. Didn't proof read. It is a 1960. I went on: www.ngccoin.com/news/article/959/counterfeit-holders
The only reason I thought it might not be real was the website.
You answered it, thanks. I did not know about the verify page.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Also, if you were going to create a counterfeit holder, it would make more sense to do it with a really valuable coin instead of one like a 1960 proof Franklin. Not to say it can't be counterfeit, but the odds are quite low.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:00 am

The coin and holder seem OK to me. NGC changes their slabs and holograms every so often to prevent counterfeits.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby cyberdan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:22 am

highroller4321 wrote:NGC changes their slabs and holograms every so often to prevent counterfeits.

But, their website only shows one example. They should show every version.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Good point.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm

highroller4321 knows what he talking about, I think it is a good coin in a legit holder....
hobo finds

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 pm

I agree about the integrity of the coin and holder. No concerns here.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics