1962 unopened proof set....opened

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

1962 unopened proof set....opened

Postby fasteddy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am

Hey y'all,

yesterday I gave my friend for her Birthday a unopened 1962 Proof set, her birth year. She wanted to open it cuz she did. Her husband said no don't open. So we sat there outside over looking Galveston bay eating breakfast while we discussed opening the envelope. Eventually after finishing my western omelet I told here that I would never open the envelope but really wished she would cuz I would enjoy the experience of pulling out a 56 year old proof set into the daylight to see the shiny mirror like surfaces. I told her there are many unopened 1962 proof sets left and in fact I have several more at the house. My friend of many years said for me to go ahead and open the proof set. I opened my pocket knife and carefully slid the sharp drop point Buck folder along the top of the glued flap to do as little damage to the envelope as I can. With my wife, best buddy of 40 years, his wife the birthday girl and our two other friends Roland and his girl Elda, I slid the cello package out into the bright sunlight. Wow the metal coins were brilliant, shiny reflecting the sunlight in all of our faces....I passed the cello package around to all. Confusion started showing on their faces, they didn't really understand, however, I was excited even more so now that I opened the envelope and revealed the contents. The beautiful proof set of coins was not from 1962 but 1955! I kidd you not. The coins were all unblemished proofs from 1955. We all studied the envelope to see maybe it had been opened before but the flap was securely glued tight and why would anyone put a 1955 set in a 1962 envelope?

So my friend handed me back the set as said she would rather have her 1962 set instead. Much to my glee I agreed and now I get to open another set this weekend at the same place but I am going to order the Mexican omelet this time.

EDIT* I am removing that, I am sorry for posting that about my friends...I was not right this morning...I am still in shock....RIP Roland and Elda.
Last edited by fasteddy on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: 1962 unopened proof set....opened

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am

Good grief - that's an awful ending to that story. So sorry to hear about that.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm totally confused. Maybe I didn't see something that you deleted, but who are Roland and Elda and how/when did they die?

Also, the thought of a 1955 proof set being in 1962 packaging seems like something that would have been a mistake made by a person outside the U.S. Mint after ordering and receiving their sets. So, for instance, if someone ordered a 1955 set and a 1962 set, took the coins out, and then put each one into the wrong envelope.

All that said, finding a 1955 set that you didn't think you had would be pretty cool.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 am

Okay, I'm confused. Did they die over night? Forget about the coins, what happened to Roland and Elda?

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby fasteddy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am

Apologies again, it has been a rough 36 hours for me. About an hour and 15 minutes after we left their home Roland and Elda lost their lives while riding his H-D.

Recyclersteve wrote:

Also, the thought of a 1955 proof set being in 1962 packaging seems like something that would have been a mistake made by a person outside the U.S. Mint after ordering and receiving their sets. So, for instance, if someone ordered a 1955 set and a 1962 set, took the coins out, and then put each one into the wrong envelope.

All that said, finding a 1955 set that you didn't think you had would be pretty cool.
yes it was.

That envelope was sealed well. I have had them in my possession for over 30 years.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 am

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. My sympathies and prayers to their families and yours.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 am

God bless their souls. I am so sorry to read this.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby natsb88 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42 am

So sorry to hear that Eddy. So much can change in the blink of an eye.
natsb88

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:10 am

Man o man. So sorry for the loss. Life is precious and all too brief.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm

My sincere condoleances.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Chaboo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 am

Loved the story and then my mind couldn't wrap itself around the end. Such a tough loss and I'm sorry for it but also glad you had that time with them!
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 pm

I am sorry for your loss! I sure wasn't expecting that kind of ending to your other wise interesting story.
Prayers for everyone involved.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics