great american coin hunt

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

great american coin hunt

Postby hobo finds » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:45 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: great american coin hunt

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Bump. This is such a GREAT idea, but I can't believe that I am the first person to respond to the message. I like the zeemaps.com site showing specific dealers and what they will be doing. For instance, I see there is a Burger King in Minot, ND that might want to prepare for quite a bit of activity.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I have personally emailed and texted about 75 friends and family members. I am urging others on this site to do the same.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 am

Map is cool but nothing by me yet...
hobo finds

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am

Cool, but nothing near me either....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby coindood » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

NotABigDeal wrote:Cool, but nothing near me either....

Same.

I've never been keen on collectible coins/currency being spent, whatever the reason. Just creates a greater chance of these rarities languishing in change jars, or worse, being literally tossed to the curb. I've known people who discard change like it's trash. The thought of an 1800's Indian cent rolling into a storm drain makes me cringe.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 pm

I think that it is truly great for the hobby and with all the coin roll hunters here everyone should be excited!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Just because there is nothing on the map doesn’t mean someone won’t take some collectible coins to a store somewhere and choose to be anonymous.

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:33 pm

I have started with a few "rare coins" and "rare bills."

Spending generic piton halfs and two dollar bills has caused enough "wows" and :D and :o and :shock: and :? and :x and :roll: , etc.

I have dropped a few buffalo nickels and Indian cents into the leave a penny trays.

The people who recognize them suck them up and they never truly enter circulation.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:39 pm

A good way to get a coin into circulation would be to dump it in a coin machine. It would go wherever they go and get rolled and delivered to a business or bank. Someone would eventually get in in change I would guess.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 am

coppernickel wrote: I have dropped a few buffalo nickels and Indian cents into the leave a penny trays.

The people who recognize them suck them up and they never truly enter circulation.

Hey, that is a GREAT way to share the hobby. I have to admit that I look in those give a penny/take a penny trays a lot for copper pennies. I especially do it when service is slow and I have to wait a bit for my food.

Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

Lets hope some MS 1950 D nickels get dropped into circulation!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm

I may have gotten something from the hunt! I was at a gas station with a mini-mart on Sunday afternoon. I told the cashier about the coin hunt while looking at his Give a penny/take a penny dish. He said "Wait- I've got something. I just got this." And he proceeded to give me (for face value) a ugly and bent 1929-D Walking Liberty half. But it is still silver!

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Incidentally, my 1929-D half dollar find was NOT posted on the zeemaps.com site. I feel like there are a lot that will never appear on that site.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Don't know if this was part of the original coin hunt or not, but I got a dateless 1913-P Type 1 (raised mound) buffalo nickel in change at a mini-mart next to a gas station yesterday. I asked the cashier if he had anything "old or unusual" and he said "I've got this". He kept it separated from the rest of the coins. He had to ask a co-worker what it was. The co-worker knew it was a nickel.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 am

That's cool. I wonder what's better coins released for the hunt or the ones in the wild, even though I am sure they were released from someone's coin collection or jar when they died. Or stolen and taken to the Constar. Or just by chance been floating out there in change. When I find a old coin I look back and see what was going on in this world during the time it was made.
hobo finds

Return to USA Numismatics