Value of grading a proof coin.

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Value of grading a proof coin.

Postby ScrapMetal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Over on Facebook, saw that someone paid to have the 2019W proof penny graded by NGC. Of course it came back as proof (70).

I asked the guy what was the point, as the designation from the US Mint should be good enough to establish that it is a proof coin.

Is there some advantage in having a known proof coin graded?

ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Re: Value of grading a proof coin.

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:03 am

The plastic slab keeps it in proof state and is more attractive to some collectors? I own sacks and boxes of coins but only about 5 in slabs, so I don't pretend to understand the lure of a graded coin slab.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 am

I once talked to a PCGS grader about this. I used to maintain his yard. He said there is no such thing as an ms-70. He said it is a joke and all coins are flawed He said he could find a flaw if he looked long enough at any coin
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:33 am

Sure, many people are into graded coins, there is a huge market for it.

Proof 70 is the best in their eyes. There are lesser grades also PF 69, PF 68.

But know this...there are lesser graders also....most numismatist accept PCGS and NGC as the top graders.

There are grades for non-circulated coins that start with MS, "Mint State". With MS 70 as the best in their eyes.

The PF-70 or MS-70 coins always command a higher price....suppose to be "none" in better condition. I suspect there will be a lot of PF-70 with that "W" mint mark cent.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am

I would not buy a key coin unless it was graded. At least not at market price.

But a proof? It's like buying a "collectible"
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics