Have you encountered counterfeits in circulation coins?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Have you encountered counterfeits in circulation coins?

Postby coppernickel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:30 pm

I know Great Britain recently changed out their pound coins because a significant number were counterfeit.

Over the years, I've gotten a few under weight or just odd cents over the years, but have attributed them to wear or chemical exposure. I don't think that I have handled any counterfeit U.S. circulated coins.

There are known examples of silver coins, even to the quarter, so not meaning silver or numismatic coins. :) You know, that state circulation quarter is just such a keeper. Good enough to party like it's 1999. :D

Has anyone noticed any counterfeit modern circulation U.S. coins during your search?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Have you encountered counterfeits in circulation coins?

Postby rainsonme » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 pm

well, pennies shaved down to be the size of a dime, I presume to go into a vending machine; most of the ones I found were wheat-backs, probably when it was more cost effective to cheat 9 cents. And a 1971 clad half dollar coated with silver to make it appear to be a very convincing error coin. Of course the no-cents 1883 Liberty nickles coated in gold to look like a $5 piece, but I never found one of those in circulation ----- that was just slightly before my time.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm

I would think counterfeits of modern coins would be rare. I’m guessing there might be some fake 1982 no mintmark dimes where the mint mark was shaved off. Can’t really think of any others that are worth it. Anyone else?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:34 am

Credit Union thought they had a counterfeit $2 coin because it would not accept in the coin counter. It had a different feel to it too but excellent quality. I convinced them to sell it to me, and then at the coin shop figured out it was a special edition silver toonie with 24k gold plating in the center.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:38 am

The point inferred above is that given that a major mass producer of coin (the USG) can't make coin for less money than their face value, we have long since gotten past the point where (except for the dollar coins, possibly - but they are hardly used) it is economic to counterfeit coin in quantity. The exception is one-offs of rare coins, looking for numi value rather than intrinsic value.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 am

Well pennies can't be made for less than a penny and US nickels must cost more than a nickel given the metal content but in Canada all circulation coins are made at a profit and people actively use $1 and $2 coins daily, and they get lots of use. I got a couple rolls of $1 coins for change on Sunday and found first year heavily worn $1 coins in it.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to USA Numismatics